Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

drunk and drive project

Status
Not open for further replies.

anand.usic

hello,
i am going to do project on drunk drive control in car. i am planning to fix a sensor on the steering of the car and it will be at a distance of not more than one meter from the driver's face.
my basic question is for that which sensor will be suitable for my application. the project is to be done cheaper so i need a sensor which will be cost effective and it should be available in all places
can anyone help me in this regard.... i am going to do the project in microcontroller.

I doubt you will be either to find something that can detect the level of intoxication or for that matter the "smell" of alcohol at that distance.

I doubt you will be either to find something that can detect the level of intoxication or for that matter the "smell" of alcohol at that distance.

only the smell of alcohol is enough. this will be a simple project so no need to go in depth.
thanks for the reply.
please guide me in this regard.

Wouldn't it also sense a drunk passenger? Or would the driver have the option to over-ride the device?

my brief explanation about my project.

According to my plan of action i need to know about the status of the driver only whether is he drunken mood or not. So if somebody else in the car is drunken and it mistakes it as driver's status and stops the vehicle means i have some other options so that the driver can prove that he is not drunken and can continue driving.

so please anyone suggest me a sensor for that.
thanks for all the replies.

If you turn the whole thing around it will make sense. :)

First, disable any starting unit in the car.

Second, have the drive blow into the tester.

Third, free motor starting or freeze it depending on the alcohol concentration in the breathing air.

That of course won't be 100% of control. If the driver stops on the way, empties a bottle of whiskey with the engine running, and continues driving that system fails.

You could of course use a timer circuit to turn off the engine after a certain time running at idle and call for a new test before restarting.

To do it the described way you just require a normal breath analyzer as used by the police.

Boncuk

BTW, I never drink while driving. I stop first. :D

Last edited:
The passanger would die of alcohol poisoning before he even comes close to the concentration needed to activate the sensor from that distance in my opinion!! If the sensor detects alcohol while driving make a siren and lights and everything go off so the ******* pulls over :)

You would need an extremely sensitive sensor to detect the slightest hint of alchohol from that distance.

No more like a morgue.

The other option is to legalize drunk driving between 3am & 4am on Highways on Saturday nights. Plus no 911 or insurance claims allowed. The flaming pit is optional.

How about disabling the door locks, don't allow access to the car, period. Does the sensor know the difference between human breath, and say a dog, or a can of compressed air, fan, or mini car vacuum, birthday balloon?

Gas Sensors

Disabling the car locks is miles away from the task.

What about a drunk looking for shelter in a heavy thunderstorm?

Secondly, how would you construct access to the plastic pipe without any environmental side effects, not to speak about blowing into a dirty piece of plastic?

What about a memory game like a "Simon" on the dash, that the driver has to press the right coloured buttons in the right sequence to replicate the pattern. Then the car will start.

Those things are hard enough to do when sober. ;)

Some way of measuring mental competency would go a long way towards saving lives on the roads. Actually, lets put one in every car, and make it a little difficult. That way we could remove the stupidest 10% of drivers from the roads altogether... Heaven.

(Edit) OMG this is my post number 666. It's the ANTI-post!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back