Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving Under Influence

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your diagram I get the distinct impression you where on the wrong side of the road and the bus from out of nowhere came from exactly where most people would expect a vehicle to likely come from whenever a truck is sitting stationary at a four way intersection waiting for something.
But since you did not wait for the truck to get out of the way like a normal person does the bus nearly ran you over because you where on the wrong side of the road where it in fact had the right of way to begin with.

The truck driver was not in the truck, the truck was parked there illegally. There was no other way around it.

YouTube - Drunk Failing A Hit And Run Escape
(skip to 50 second mark)

That big friggin sign came outta NO WHERE and it took every bit of skill I had to avoid that thing but then all of a sudden like 3 CARS came outta no where but i was able to squeeze between them without any trouble (thank god I had some beers in me cause otherwise I would have panicked!) I used my mad buzzin skills to spin that car around and avoid all property damage and got back on the road. Everything would have been ok though, until a bunch of cars all crossed the median (definitely their fault, not mine) and ran into me. Too bad I didn't have a few more beers in me cause if I had I probably would have been able to pull off a dukes of hazard launch over them.

The truck driver was not in the truck, the truck was parked there illegally. There was no other way around it.

So you jumped into the oncoming traffic lane and proceeded to go hightailing around a dead truck at a four way intersection despite the truck creating an obvious and massive blind spot to the right side traffic.

Yep you are right, a sober person never would have done it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And no I was not dead drunk, as I mentioned in my first post, I do not get impaired after 5-6 beers. My reaction on the road remained appropriate, if it weren't I wouldn't be typing this message right now.

You were seriously impaired, the impairment just makes you think you're not - that's what alcohol does.

Nothing like getting pissed and facing the traffic with confidence :eek:

I was locked up in jail twice for it overnight in my twenties. I stopped drinking and driving after finally realizing that what I thought was funny at the time could well have killed someone. Heck, I used to believe I was Senna behind the wheel of a F1 car. Luckily, with the prangs I had, nobody was injured because I always pranged my car and never hit another car or person.

And surprisingly, I never really got hurt either. The poor car the next Morning when I was sober and awake was always another issue...gotta have the car fixed....again.

I wonder how much it will cost this time??

Cheers

Last edited:
Your diagram and explanation just make it perfectly clear that you intentionally put yourself in a situation where you didn't know what was coming.

It's not your fault that the truck was there, true. It *is* your fault that you went around it--illegally--into oncoming traffic. That was 100% your choice to make, and you made the wrong choice.

You think the booze got you out of a tight situation which you wouldn't have been able to handle sober. What really happened is that the booze helped you make a bad choice (trying to go around the truck without assessing the situation) which a sober person wouldn't have made in the first place. From your description, inexperience and lack of knowledge of the rules of the road also played a role.

What you're doing is called "rationalizing". You were driving drunk, made a dumb move, and had to swerve to avoid a collision. That's it. Were you sober you probably wouldn't have made the dumb move in the first place and the entire problem would have been averted.

If you would've pulled out around the truck even when sober, it just means you're too inexperienced to drive.

Torben

I think you may have just gotten lucky. There are way to many stories of people driving under the influence who were not so lucky.

Drinking and driving almost always ends up in tears. Eventually.

Trues phuck. Might take a year. Maybe two years. Maybe three. Eventually it Will end in tears.

Debate not necessary on this issue. (For me that is)....I learn't the hard stupid way. Hard headed all my life.

Cheers friends

Last edited:
However drinking a few beers does not impair my judgment. I have done Calculus homework after 9 beers.
Calculus is math it has nothing whatsoever to do with judgment they are completely unrelated. Reaction time and mental acuity after even one ore two bears is reduced regardless of your feeling on the matter this is verified scientific FACT, no one has EVER measured an improvement in reaction time after consuming alcohol in a blind study.

I'm 100% with Nigel, it doesn't matter what you 'feel' science has proved conclusively that your ability to react to the world around you and your ability to control your muscles declines after even a beer or two. What you experienced was simple luck followed by the adrenaline rush which in your altered state you perceived as the 'superman' feeling that many mind effecting drugs cause in people.

One very very important thing you need to take into account is that the risk when driving a motor vehicle of getting into an accident is actually incredibly low to start with. The isolated incident in which you took part doesn't prove anything at all, in fact if you'd simply panicked and not moved you can't prove that an accident wouldn't have occurred anyways because that's not what happend and your opinion on the matter is highly suspect having obviously been in a fight or flight situation and under the influence of alcohol your judgment was guaranteed to be affected, you're looking at it based on emotionally fueled lenses..

The reality is that what you did was wrong, you're lucky there wasn't an accident. It had nothing to with alcohol improving your driving ability and it's a crime that you should even think that let alone say it to someone else in public as it WILL kill someone to perpetuate that kind of mentality. You can feel or think anything you want, science has already prove conclusively case closed no comment applicable that you are wrong.

This reminds me of a comment BrownOut made last year sometime saying that headphones connected to a musical device that he listened to under his helmet on his motorcycle actually made him a better driver. It's not drinking and driving, but there's no logic or sanity behind the statement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back