Driving solenoids general question [help!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FPGA@AA

Hello all,

I have a fuel pump actuator (driving solenoid) which has an output signal (+) and an return signal (-). I want to wire that solenoid to a Low-Side Driver Module which has pins for BATT, LOW-SIDE, and GND. The example on the manual has a solenoid powering directly from the power supply (same as what powers the Low Side Driver Module) on one lead, and then a connection to the "LOW-SIDE" switch to ground on the other lead. However, my fuel pump actuator does not require a direct connection to the power supply. Any ideas on how to wire it correctly to the module with BATT, LOW-SIDE, and GND? Remember, my solenoid only has +/- connections.

Thanks!!
AA

I've never heard of a solonoid like this? Usually they take V+ and ground to create a magnetic field, actually perhaps this will double the voltage, why not just put two in series?
Put two batteries in series and use the middle as ground, one end as V+ and one end as V- you now have a dual polarity power supply....

A bit confusing....

Sounds to me like the module has an open collector output...In which case connect the solenoid +ve to the batt and the neg to the lo side connection...the GND of the module goes to the battery -ve

I've attached the example on the documentation.

Attachments

• Lowside Module.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 318
Chippie... That was my initial understanding, but I thought I would be supplying twice the voltage to the actuator.

Could you explain a little about 'open collector output'?

Appreciated!

The origin of my doubt

I've attached a diagram from another module. In this one you can see the proper wiring for an actuator (solenoid driver) like the one I have. Thus, my question is, on the DI Module Diagram, is INJ+ also powering from the power supply? If so, connecting the actuator (+) to the power supply like in the Lowside Module Diagram, would it be the same?

Attachments

• DI Module.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Lowside Module.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 186
AA,

Imagine an NPN transistor....Emitter Base and Collector..?

See the sketch...

The load is connected between the High side of the supply or +ve and the Collector of the transistor... open collector output...

Attachments

• OC.GIF
    1.7 KB · Views: 206
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…