driving a mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

rednwhite

looking to drive a mosfet at 50-100KHz with a duty cycle of 0.350 which will need to vary, any ideas how to do this.

I have thought about a 555 but can it be done/should it be done with a PIC, completely new to PICs

Any other Ideas

Ted

Yes, you can do it with a 555 but the frequency will vary as you change the voltage on the "control pin" or you could use a "PWM" IC. A PIC will work as well.

any ideas on which PWM ICs? or which PIC to use, and where to get any ideas for the code? also I would prefer to go down the PIC route as I need a PIC for other parts of the circuit so should I use assembler code or high level language?

At that frequency, a 555 is ok to create the pulse train, but not to drive the gate of a large MOSFET directly without an intervening gate driver... You will need a high-current gate driver if the pulse train comes out of a PIC, too...

Here is a simple PWM generator; RMCybernetics - DIY Homemade Power Pulse Controller[/url]

Substitute your mosfet for the one in the schematic.

This is a very poor excuse for a high-frequency PWM MOSFET controller. The gate drive is much too whimpy to minimize dissipation in the FET (gate current sourced by 2.2K resistor, sunk by a very slow opamp) . Witness the large heat sink that the FET is mounted on. Very naive design.

Last edited:

Yeah definitely. You can get good low-side MOSFET drivers at $0.60 from digikey, look in the appropriate category. No excuse !
You can generate the PWM with the PWM peripheral in your microcontroller, and feed that to a proper driver.
UC1706 looks fine.

Yes, but, the circuit can be used to drive the UC1706 driver or another driver chip. The circuit I referenced is a good simple PWM circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…