Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving a 7-segment with just NANDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

epcd

Hi all,

I've got a little project on my hands at the moment and I need a bit of help with the design. The overall project is a dice, it displays a random number between 1 and 6. The output of the random number circuit is a 3 bit code (A, B and C).

At the moment I'm going to represent say 6 with the binary value 110 (A=1 B=1 C=0)

I'm trying to design a combo logic circuit to drive a 7-segment display. The circuit I need to design is the decoder for the display.

So I've got my truth table...

**broken link removed**
(a-g are the display inputs - a logic 0 turns the relevant part of the display on)

Past this and I'm stumped :oops:

As in the topic title I have to keep this design to just NAND gates and inverters. Specifically the 74LS04 (inverter) and the 74LS00 (NAND)

Anyone got any ideas? :?:

Why must it only be NAND gates? Is this an intro project where they prove that you need nothing but NANDs? If so it seems overboard. You can do it, and it is easy, but it will take a lot of gates.

If you're using the 7400 you don't need the 7404's, as the NAND is a "universal" gate, and easily made into an inverter.

BTW, I wouldn't want to do this project!

j.

Gandledorf said:
Is this an intro project where they prove that you need nothing but NANDs?

Yeah, you get the idea. The 74LS00 contains 4 x 2 input NANDS and the 74LS04 has 6 inverters.

I think I need to create a karnaugh map from my truth table and do some simplification and boolean algebra but unfornatuantly I'm a bit rusty with all those topics.

If anyone can assist further feel free to PM or reply :)

Regards

I have found an initial diagram that would almost give the result I am looking for. The only difference is this is using AND, OR and NOT gates rather than NAND and NOT gates. I think this diagram might be for a BCD input and I only need a 3 bit input.

Click **broken link removed** to view.

Arrrhhh someone help me! Please, I'm really confused!

If you need any clarification of the problem then please ask :wink:

You are not going to learn anything if we do this for you. Here is a suggestion: Break the problem down to 6 circuits (one for each digit), then OR the outputs. HINT: the NAND is an inverted OR.

It is important to realize that the NAND gate is functionally complete. This means that a circuit represented with ORs/ANDs/NOTs can be constructed entirely out of NAND gates. Perhaps that will help you on your project.

Thanks crust - I'm working on drawing a karnaugh map at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct... because the display segments are activated by a logic 0 am I right in thinking I should use POS rather than SOP in my karnaugh maps?

Perhaps I am not understanding your question, but in your k-map, if you need a logic-0 to be the true condition, why not just box those and write your SOP terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back