Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drilling PCBs using dental burs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

i just want to let you know that you can use dental burs to make holes on your PCBs instead of the usual black HSS-R drills which wear and brake easily...

ofc there are other types of drills which wear less like cobalt drills or titanium drills or carbade drills... but lately i tried a dental bur and i'm very satisfied!!! it drills perfectly leaving much less swarf and it's not as easy to brake it though i haven't evaluated yet how long it can last...but after drilling two heavy populated epoxy PCBs the bur hasn't lost any of it's ability.

i'm using a 0.9 mm bur of this company, i could source it localy and the price was equal to the drill bits i'm using.

Hager und Meisinger GmbH

Hi,

you can get the burs and drills free at your dentist.

Dentists don't normally use drills until they torture patients. :)

I was building guitars for awhile and needed some small bits for inlay work on the neck. I asked my dentist and he gave me probably about 20 or so bits. Too dull for teeth but not for wood.

Thanks for the tip about using these on pcb's. I might give that a try for tiny detail work.

Hi,

I have a set of diamond bits, but unfortunately the smallest one is only good
for the largest electronic part leads i normally use.

i'm glad that you liked it! :D indeed you can spot them more easily at the dentist and ask for some.. rather than searching for a specialized shop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back