Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drill press runout fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

I had a benchtop press that developed enough runout to cause a 3.125" drill bit to make 3.4" holes in 3/8" AL plate
Turned out the dial gauge showed about 11 thou runout at the chuck before the 'fix'. Down to 3 thou after.

After the light hammer tapping based on the guide below I got the drill bit runout to be < 4 thou.
http://www.rvplane.com/pdf/drill_press_tune-up.pdf

Useful tip. Thanks.

So, that's what that collar is for?

Nice article. I guess it won't work on a Dremel tool. That one is too far gone from the beginning, i wish i knew about Proxxon.

I have an adapter that mounts a Dremel in a Proxxon drill press stand. the Dremel drill press stand is a toy. The Proxxon stand isn't that great.

I haven;t yet played with my conversions. A longer rod in the rear and releasable step collars for stops.

I also got some solid carbide rods to try to make some odd adapters.

Thanks.

Hmm, as u say Proxxon, I am fabricating a dual use system for full time (hands free) vacuuming when drilling PCBs on my Proxxon MB140/S drill stand (I use an FBS115/E precision drill tool) . Enough FR1 & FR4 dust issues for me. The shop vac is way too noisy for more than a few minutes use.
The unit (5x5x5") will also act as a solder fume handler as it uses an activated carbon filter, 12mm thick

If it works out well I might make a DIY kit out of it.
Right now I am trying to source a 1" or 3/4" corrugated hose for use and plan to install a #12AWG solid buss wire inside the suction tube to make it a flexible gooseneck affair thus permitting positioning for convenient solder fume suction without blocking anything.
The side walls will offer 4 pullout axles for mounting solder spools or wire spools for jobs that require multiple diameter soldering wire.
The front wall of the unit will be completely removable (slideout) for easy emptying.Transparent case .

The link is good if that is the real problem. But often times it is the jaws of the chuck that are not true with the spindle axis. Especially on a less expensive drill chuck.

Well, a bad chuck is replaceable enough, but the process will be able to identify it for you by comparing the chuck body runout to the chuck jaw runout.

I was thinking about how the 11 thou at the chuck would amplify to 200 thou at the business end of the 2.5" long bit. Then I realized that the wobble at the bit would get worse when the HSS flexes under quill pressure. So keeping that bit runout down matters a lot more than you'd guess for small bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back