Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drawing current from the 5v rail on an arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
So I put together a gps disciplined ad9850 dds system with a lcd, proud of the creation I built a case for it and assembled everything.
Worked for a minute then nada.
Silly me I powered the system from usb while developing it, but on the cased up version powered it from a 9v wall wart, I used 3 x ac logic ic's to divide the 125mc clock down to a freq the 'duino can count, and it looks like I drew too much current with too much voltage diferential across the 'duio's reg.
I found spec for a genuine 'duino 450ma can be pulled from the 5v rail totall, but I cant find anything about the voltage differential.
Any info on this would be great, pkus my arduino's are non original so I spose the rating will be less.
I'm thinking use a 7805 and squirt the regulated dc into the raw 5v pin, and route separate volts to the counter / lcd / ad9850.
Might even try repairing the 'duino.

No heatsink on the regulator except a slightly fatter copper trace, so dissipating more than a few hundred milliWatts in the reg would be a problem...

I have found that you really need about >5.5V going into the Arduino if you really expect the on-board regulator to make a clean 5.0V for the Arduino ADC... I have had a problem getting clean 5.oV if running from the USB. Older Arduinos had a solder jumper to bypass the on-board regulator; newer ones, especially the Chinese clones dont...

Last edited:
Yep I'm dissipating a little over a watt, so thats probably nuked the reg, the avr and everything else got hot so I suspect the reg might be short, so everything could be shot.
I have a clone with a dip and a few with smd's, the dip one does have said solder link, the smd ones dont, but thats not a major problem I could just pull the reg, I'm going to try that on the one I blew up, and power it from one of the 5v o/p pins, its toast anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back