Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Draining capacitors on power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep the discharging simple.

As already said a 150 k Ohm 1/2 watt will do the trick. ( Easy and cheap )

In HV distribution systems, capacitors are permanently across the capacitors terminals and are usually designed to discharge the cap over a period of 10 minutes.

I'd go down the mosfet path if you want isolation between all the cap's while they are in use (perhaps they are for firing different channels?)

If they can all be discharged at the same time, then just use a single switch too tie them all to a single resistor. 100K @ 200VDC = 0.4 Watts

Attachments

• discharge.JPG
    discharge.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 165
I am also thinking of a way to trigger my high voltage capacitors with SCR, Dalington transistors, triac's etc. TO-220 type.

I am using 200vdc with 220uf capacitors on toggle switch's.

I want to take the stress off my switchs by using a high voltage trigger switch of some sort.

My base voltage is 24vdc with a converter to 200vdc at 175ma to 220uf capacitors.

What are your suggestions on the type of switch that would service as the main switch using the toggle to trigger.:)

It's DC, an SCR should work fine, and for short pulse applications you can push a LOT of power through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back