Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubts about filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have doubts over filtering algorithms we implement. I understand that generally we apply filtering algorithms when our output is varying or some noise is present or when we want the expected values, am i correct? If we are doing this are we not missing the actual output or something like we cannot go close to reality so, we are trying to achieve through filters? Or please tell me the purpose of filters. (To achieve constant DC i can understand the use of filters.)

Make a sine wave out of a square wave (filter out the harmonics, leaving only the fundamental)
Shaping voice (band pass) to improve intelligability
Tone detection for signalling
selective tuning for radio reception
transmitter harmonic suppression
removing power line artifact from bio signals (notch filtering)
speaker crossover networks
tone controls
FM pre-emphasis / de-emphasis

Wiki has dozens more...

Shaping voice (band pass) to improve intelligability
Telephone systems are supposed to pass 300Hz (then a big man sounds like a skinny little boy) to 3kHz but I have measured in the city 3kHz was at -12dB which produces a very muffled sound. Vowel sounds are passed fairly but consonant sounds are not passed. Consonant sounds in speech are VERY important for intelligibility and have frequencies extending to 14kHz. A noise filter to reduce hiss will probably also reduce consonant sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back