Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doorbell Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I have a Honeywell Series 9 Portable Wireless Doorbell - Model Number RDWL917AX2000.

I would like to activate it remotely with a wired connection.
I thought it may be simplest to connect a push button switch to the remote's push button switch.
Asking advice before getting carried away soldering wires to the circuit board.
How does that switch work?
Where do I attach the wires?
Other ideas are also welcome. Thanks.
switch-1.jpg
switch-2.jpg

Pressing the centre of the silver dome contact causes the trace underneath to become connected.
See here:
switch-2.jpg

You will have to scrape away some of the white silkscreen layer near where it says "TX", to expose the copper beneath and allow you to solder to the trace indicated by the lower blue line.
The upper blue line indicates the other side of the switch contact, which can be soldered anywhere else around the circumference of the dome contact.

Yes, the switch is normally open.
However, there is a simple correction that should be made, which does not change the operation, but it's bugging me a bit.
The switch moving contact should have been drawn the other way around.
The dome is the part which moves, and the pad beneath it is the contact.
The pic should have looked like this:
switch-2a.jpg

I think we are good.
There is a piece of clear tape covering the dome. Funny I did not notice it before.
When I tried to remove it, the dome came up with it.
It is just as you say. There is a center contact underneath.
I will cut away enough of the tape to make my connections and then stick the
dome back down to restore the normal operation of the original switch if possible.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back