Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dog stopping: Finding a Piezo buzzer/transducer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both claim 120dB
They spec the size and weight, but not a word about the distance. 120dB is VERY loud against your ear but at 1 metre it is not. At 20m it will be just a little beep.

Is it possible I may need to use something larger? I'm looking at 20 metres, line of sight (approx 60')
You need something that is much louder.

Also see this video .... uses a 10" parabolic reflector / mirror, 9v "transistor radio batteries" a 555 IC and a piezoelectric transducer.
The reflector concentrates the sound into a very narrow but loud beam. if it is not pointing directly at the animal then it is not loud.

I was considering using a 250mm pringles can or PVC piping. There's several youtube videos of people using similar stuff, claiming it works well.
I also read some comments online, which seemed to indicate that these things would well in parallel?

I have tried googling and had very little luck finding piezo tweeters / speakers / loudspeakers (they run under all 3 names) which are larger / more powerful than this, perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

EDIT: thank you very much for the reply by the way.

A tube would also focus the sound into a beam but it will be much louder if the tube size resonates at the frequency of the piezo transducer.
A piezo beeper (wrongly called a buzzer) has a built-in transistor oscillator that has positive feedback from a terminal on the piezo and it oscillates at its loudest resonant frequency. I have one that is 22mm in diameter powered by 4.5V. Just now it drove my dog away and my wife was fairly far away (maybe 20m) and she said, "stop it!". The case of the piezo beeper is designed to resonate at the frequency of the piezo then it is very loud.

If I was a dog then I would bark if I heard one of those loud expensive things.

Fireworks can't be obtained in my country, although I suspect a very small one would do a cracker (!) of a job at just giving the creature the jolt it needs, without harming it. None the less not a viable option (plus it leaves a mess and police may get involved)

audioguru you obviously know your stuff, if I were to buy the 2 (or a pair) of the 2 different tweeters I listed and popped the 4 into a 2 pringles cans tin and 2 PVC pipes, would it then be possible to tune the frequency with a dial of some sort to get the right resonance for the containers? or do I need to tune the container to the tweeter?

I'd like to keep my 'audio tazer' to be under 12" long if possible.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Stock up on fireworks as the season nears. They work much better than piezo emitters, at the desired loudness, sonic and ultrasonic, on many flavors. As a project, you can fire them upon barking detection, or manually.

These are superb too ----> https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...e-Pepper-Spray/zgbs/sporting-goods/3222129011

Or, ----> https://www.amazing1.com/pest-control-dog-and-rodent.html

Thanks for your reply :)
The pepper spray isn't viable as I'm dealing with an issue that's 70 metres (over 200 feet) away.
The closest I can get to this problem, completely legally is 22 metres (70 feet?) and probably stay there for a semi reasonable amount of time.

The extra large anti-dog device is well known in the "oh god I have an ongoing barking problem can someone help, PLEASE" circles, but no one I know of has tested it. I'm also in a country where it's not viable to get one. Plus that sucker is $400

I'd like to build my own, under $200 (heck cheaper if I can) that I damn well know will work. I'll then do a writeup on the sites for others who need the information.
Thank you for the help though, seriously - any assistance is really appreciated so much. As my usename implies, this is a real issue for me and a huge amount of other people.

if I were to buy the 2 (or a pair) of the 2 different tweeters I listed and popped the 4 into a 2 pringles cans tin and 2 PVC pipes, would it then be possible to tune the frequency with a dial of some sort to get the right resonance for the containers? or do I need to tune the container to the tweeter?
A piezo transducer (speaker) has a very uneven frequency response with loud peaks and quiet nulls at various frequencies due to resonances of the diaphragm. It would be difficult or impossible to adjust the frequency of a single tone to be at a peak frequency and stay there, maybe that is why some repellers use a siren that sweeps a range of frequencies then some of the peaks are produced. But your tube can be tuned to only one frequency plus its even harmonics, then the tube would work poorly with a siren.

Try the biggest piezo beeper that you can find since a beeper is made to beep at its resonant very loud frequency then trim a tube to match its frequency. Or use an array of a few small beepers. More than one of the same beeper would produce beat interferences because their frequencies will be slightly different where the sounds would add then subtract creating wah, wah, wah sounds that might scare an animal. Maybe your circuit could turn the beepers on and off at a low frequency like a machine gun.
Maybe the animals and their owners will bark at your noises.

With difficulty to obtain some devices at your location, consider an ultrasonic whistle and compressed air. Or make your own tuneable whistle (cannot help on that). Then add a parabolic reflector :woot:
It should yield the same result of a piezo, but louder, and with no 'hard to find' piezo hunt.

I have at my disposal 44mm and 55mm (1.73" and 2.16") internal diameter PVC piping at my disposal in an approximate 28" length. Unsure if I should cut them up into 2x14" pieces or what. Similar to this guys work.

I'm still deciding and gathering intel on my "problem" anyhow, to be utterly sure I know the actual address of it. (I'm still attempting to handle this problem via "sane" means)
I have decided though, that if I can't get it solved amicably, that I don't care how much power I need and the expense, to an extent. I also don't care if it's partially audible to humans either - I've read several comments from people, seeming to indicate that some of the stuff in the human hearing range (but high) was actually quite effective with dogs.
Honestly, at this point, I don't care if it shatters buildings, knocks down walls and summons demons, but sincerely doubt that's possible with something powered by a 12v DC motorbike battery and in a small backpack. :)
(This thing I guess, will look something like a Ghostbusters proton pack)

I also may consider a pringles tin if it will assist. What's important is that this thing gives a sharp, nasty wham to a creature easily 55' away (at closest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back