Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does H bridge driver require back-voltage protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabbie

Hi

Currently, im trying to use a h-bridge driver to power up my 12 VDC motor. However, after reading from several websites, I found that some h-bridge driver require back voltage protection.

Therefore, what i intend to use is a L298 h-bridge driver. Is back voltage protection required for this IC?

Thx for any advise!!!

fabbie said:
Hi

Currently, im trying to use a h-bridge driver to power up my 12 VDC motor. However, after reading from several websites, I found that some h-bridge driver require back voltage protection.

Therefore, what i intend to use is a L298 h-bridge driver. Is back voltage protection required for this IC?

Thx for any advise!!!

I dont know about the driver you mentioned but it is in general a good idea to suppress over voltage conditions when running inductive loads like a motor. A usual method is using a zener diode across the bridge output if unidirectional and a series back-to-back zener if bi-directional. Also a zener or transorb on your +12 would be a good idea also. If you have access to an O-scope, take a look at all the hash & spikes the motor injects back into your circuit.

And if zeners are too cheap for you , MOV's and or Transorbs will also do the job nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back