Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does digital audio or commonly USB audio out lines can work with modern USB C or i need an adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcbrown

I want to replace a old connector with USB C, the board of the device transmit digital audio through the old connector, if I replace the connector with USB C, the digital audio still works normally or I need an adapter? {The old connector can transmit digital audio and I know that USB C also can transmit it } But i don't know if it'll work.

What type exactly is the old connector??
If it's another / older type USB A socket, you could wire the matching pins of a USB C socket to it, but it would still only work as normal USB.

If its anything other than USB, it cannot work with USB-connected devices; both ends of a USB link need to exchange configuration information and the control end has to have the exact driver to suit the USB slave device that is connected to it.

I don't know what type of connector is, but for sure is not a USB type... the old connector is broken and have many pins like 20 or more, I know that some pins transmit digital audio because my friend used to use it

Last edited:
1665952701005.png
this is not the device but is the port that is not working and my idea is not replace the port for another of the same type but for USB c. why? well I have a lot of USB c connectors [female and male] and USB c are capable to transmit audio and video. but I don't know is this is a crazy thing... I just want to experiment [DVD Player]

Last edited:
this is not the device but is the port that is not working and my idea is not replace the port for another of the same type but for USB c.

The only thing that will communicate is a device that uses a Displayport input.

It's far nearer to HDMI or DVI, and the signals have next to nothing in common with USB, other than being digital and using pairs for very high speed data.

The data formats and protocols are totally different.

The USB-C standard does include an option for dual- or multi-mode USB-C connections, so the same connector can switch some lanes (wire pairs) between USB mode and eg. Thundebolt or Displayport modes, but that needs intelligent support at both ends of the link so the devices agree which lanes are being used for which formats.

The voltage levels are also different for different formats; Displayport uses LVDS while USB uses from 3V to 5V signalling.

The USB-C standard allows devices to communicate over a separate link and negotiate voltages, which if either is a power source or needs charging, and agree uses for the four high speed lanes.

Without the existing machine having that USB handshake capability, nothing connected to it would "know" what to do with the signals on the high speed lanes, or whether to draw power or try and charge it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back