Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone interface with Wifi ic before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to know what should i look for to incorporate Wifi capibility with my uController project. is it possible? is it difficult?

**broken link removed**

Basically my project is a web-based EKG system that measure heart rate.
Initially i was thinking to use RTL8019AS as a ethernet interface, then i came across a wifi + ethernet controller, so i start thinking the posibility to add the mobility to it.

Does anyone has the experience on it? What aspect should i look into? or any other simple solution that can interface with uController?

When you're considering parts its important to find out whether you can buy them or get samples in a reasonable time frame. It can be quite hard to actually get devices from some companies.

Another consideration is the package that the component is available in. If a component is available only in a BGA or MLF package, unless you have access to advances soldering eqiupment you wont be able to prototype with the IC.

That realtek Wi FI Chip is almost certainly a BGA package.

From my experience it is very difficult to get Wi Fi of Bluetooth chips and they are all in packages that cant be hand soldered.

I would recommend you stick with ethernet and use a microcontroller with a built in ethernet interface. Take a look at the DS80C400 from Maxim. **broken link removed**
They shipped me 2 samples free of charge and they arrived within the week. The 8051 processor it uses is the most used 8bit microcontroller. It comes in a QFP (Quad Flat Pack) package that can be hand soldered with a little practice.

Your best bet is probably buying a development kit. A bit pricy ~200$ but it will let you start developing your application right away. Check Digikey.com - they have a lot of kits in stock.

For me digikey is best supplier by far. If they don't have a part in stock I'll seriously consider not using that part. A hint: if you do a search with no text it will give you a list of everyting they have.

Brent

yeah, the dev kit is quite expensive.....
but i think i will go for it, since this will enable me spend more time on other issues ...... and makes my life happier.....

after all, this might be the last year for me in university :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back