Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doble supply from battery (+ / -)

Status
Not open for further replies.
how much current are you looking for from them?

I recall finding something like this a while back, not positive on the details, but it's a start for you. I'm sure some others will recommend something better, I doubt this can provide a lot of current too.

Attachments

• charge_pump.jpg
    charge_pump.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 476
why cant you just series two batteries together?

he wants a + voltage and a - voltage from one source.

You can do this if the load current imbalance between the + and - supplies is less than the output drive capability of the op amp.

Attachments

• battery_splitter.gif
    battery_splitter.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 432
Connect a couple of equal resistors in the hundreds of k range across the battery and drive an op amp connected as a follower from the centre tap.
Call the op amp output ground, and you now have + and - lines of half the battery voltage. Good for a few milliamps.
Ron H gets in with the diagram while I'm writing.

If it's a 9V pile type battery, you could measure half way up the side and hammer a nail in, hoping to make contact with 4.5 volts.
Maybe not, although I do remember screwing a self-tapper into the exposed links on the battery in my old Rover 105 to get 6 Volts to power a portable cassette player!

Depends what you want it for.

Personally, i would just connect a couple of 10K resistors across the supply, and a cap (maybe 100uF) in (edit)parallel with each resistor, and the point at where they meet in the middle is gnd, the - terminal of the battery negative, and + is +

People will frown upon this - they always seem to - as the voltage can be a bit unstable, but I've used this method quite a few times for op-amp based projects with no problems at all.

and a cap (maybe 100uF) in series with each resistor

I'm sure he means "in parallel."

If it's a 9V pile type battery, you could measure half way up the side and hammer a nail in, hoping to make contact with 4.5 volts.

If you take the outer jacket off a 9v you can see all the little cells in there. I'm not sure how accessible the connections are. It's been a long time since I've done it, but it seems to me like it looked like a string of little sausages. I wouldn't recommend this. Check out "rail splitters." I think the 7660 is one but I can't find the data for it. I have one at home but it has been useless to me because it's easier to use two batteries, or just use single supply op-amps.

But I'm not an analog guy. The spec for most of my analog projects is just, "Must not catch fire while I'm not watching it."

j.

John Sorensen said:
and a cap (maybe 100uF) in series with each resistor

I'm sure he means "in parallel."
lol, yes, well spotted. I wrote that post in a bit of a hurry!

There have been quite a few threads on this subject in recent times. A forum search should turn up a few things, although I guess most of them will have been mentioned here already.

Quote:

If you take the outer jacket off a 9v you can see all the little cells in there. I'm not sure how accessible the connections are. It's been a long time since I've done it, but it seems to me like it looked like a string of little sausages. I wouldn't recommend this.
It wasn't really a serious suggestion. Just a bit of harmless low-voltage fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back