Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you need to hide...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgirly

Do we have privacy in surfing/browsing the web? In my opinion there is a need to hide our IP Address when browsing the web;I usually hide mine when replying emails that contained sensitive information such as bank accounts, pins and etc. (I guess I am paranoid) I believe that prevention is better than nothing (or cure). We have many choices of software, right now I am currently using virtual private network [web address deleted - moderator]. They can be installed on smart phones (like iPhone and Android), tablet computers, and a variety of operating systems for laptops and desktops (including Mac OS/X, Windows XP/Vista/7, and Linux)
We can also use proxy servers and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Privacy; A term used before the 1950s. Your every movement, email, phone call, and contact are all recorded and cataloged. I don't see any way around it. Sometimes I send a political joke, encrypted of course, just to give them something to do. It puts the joke on them when they burn the resources to figure it out.
Those ^hd9^h#@@FU5 !

I suppose privacy is a matter of opinion. I always assume the worst in how much of my pii is discoverable, but still trust to most people respecting my privacy and the amount of effort it would take to find out anything of interest being disproportionate to how insignificant I am, plus the fact that as an individual there is nothing about me for a snooper to be interested in, and take necessary precautions anyway, even if I don't have much faith in their effectiveness.

And to respond to a rather worrying part of your original post - you should never, ever, ever put things like bank details and pin numbers in emails - it's like sending it on a postcard! - Even if you are using a vpn (kudos to you) - who is controlling that, how much of your communications can they see? Suppose someone cracks the vpn? - there is always someone looking for weaknesses. I would be asking questions if I was sending such sensitive information by email.

As a market researcher I ask for people's opinions and encounter the whole spectrum of worry/non-worry about privacy, from people who won't even give their opinions because they think somehow it will lead back to them, to people who's lives are an open book and quite happy to tell me things they really shouldn't. Of course the data I collect is anonymous and encrypted, but a lot of people really have no clue...

What I have become convinced of is, if you really want to find out all about a specific person, it isn't hard.

Then there's the old saw about nothing to hide if you're not doing anything wrong, that some people like to trot out when these discussions arise. I don't care that I'm not doing anything wrong, I might still be doing something private! In fact I think I have a general right to privacy! And anyway I still want to hide my pii from criminals.

So my answer to your question is, yes and no, depending on how paranoid you are. The web is like the high street in that respect.

My 2p's worth.

Privacy; A term used before the 1950s. Your every movement, email, phone call, and contact are all recorded and cataloged. I don't see any way around it. Sometimes I send a political joke, encrypted of course, just to give them something to do. It puts the joke on them when they burn the resources to figure it out.
Those ^hd9^h#@@FU5 !

Wrong. The joke is on those who pay the taxes for such abuse. It is not "their" resources. It is our money. Assuming of course that you are part of the minority that pays income taxes.

John

Years ago my internet provider wanted +$10/month for each computer I had on line. I put all the computers behind a router. I called the provider and asked them about my computer. They gave me the IP number of the router and said that was a computer running seven copies of a browser. "Yes one computer" no 7 X $10.00/month

Wrong. The joke is on those who pay the taxes for such abuse. It is not "their" resources. It is our money. Assuming of course that you are part of the minority that pays income taxes.

John
If You have a way to keep them from abusing the tax money I entrust to them, then I'm all with you.
If they are spying on the citizens just to keep an upper hand on us, then they don't represent my values.
My last post on this topic

https://www.torproject.org/

that's what i use, and it's a lot better than a paid VPN. the VPN provider can be coerced into giving up their logs. tor is decentralized, and so there's no server that logs your browsing and traffic. i don't use it here because i don't need to. i use it elsewhere because privacy is more important for some things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back