Do you have abandoned projects?

schmitt trigger

Most Helpful Member
During my over 50 years of electronics both as a profession and as a hobby, I have designed and built countless projects. With very limited occasions, where the project's budget has spiraled out of control or is taking way too long, I always complete my projects. Even if my original estimations proved to be too optimistic, or if the actual performance doesn't meet expectations, I complete the projects. After all, one gains more experience from difficult projects than the ones that work on the first attempt.

Nowadays however, I am on my third abandoned project on this year. After struggling with the troubleshooting or the assembly, I simply lose interest. Since this is a hobby, which is supposed to be a pleasurable endeavor, I don't pressure myself to complete it.
This doesn't mean that ideas don't keep coming, they do and plenty. I look at datasheets, search on the internet, fill my booklet with sketches. But right now I have imposed on myself a "project freeze" until I come out of this lethargy.

Have you suffered such a syndrome?
PLEASE NOTE: I have also posted this question on another forum.

Hi S,
The first part of my life had many ideas and not many finishes, until I decided: don't start a project unless you finish it.
5 or 6 years ago I started a project (here) and received so much help along the way, that I feel obligated to finish it, and it's still not finished.

C.

I like you have more unfinished projects than I would like.
1. A rear viewing camera with LCD display on mirror
2, An old Force feedback steering wheel from Logitech that needs just a simple TTL to RS232 inversion and unknown bit rate and protocol drivers for kids to use.
3. A garage and basement full of tools, lasers, 20k 5mm uber-bright surplus LEDs, rock/fish finder units, gigabit modems,
4. But with 7 drives on Win 7 I have more apps than I can remember and now my OTA digital TV to router has no RF signals
5. But we can binge watch any TV series/ movies in theatre from my computer to a IMAX like experience on a big screen up close. and if bored can still use another screen to do work/play/DM
6. I can forget my own phone number occasionally but still remember all the pin #'s on many old SSI CMOS IC's when I used to debug a dozen problems a day with marked up drawings back in my SCADA/Telemetry/Aerospace/ Nuclear Eddy current inspection robot days. Now problems seem so trivial.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…