Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you ask for a quote from element14 to save on parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western

I don’t know if anyone else uses the service on element14 here in Australia … or any of the overseas suppliers … but under “Tools” on the top menu bar there is a tab “Request a quote”.

Years ago one of their enthusiastic young reps rang me and told me he was my account manager … and said I should be using that service. He was very helpful with some other enquiries and kept insisting I do it ... so just to keep him happy I eventually filled in the online form for one of my bigger orders … and was astounded at the offered prices.

From then on I asked for a quote on just about everything I ordered. It’s a bit of a pain having to fill in their part number … the manufacturers part number and name … and then wait a few hours or even the next day for the email … but the saving is well worth it.

I didn’t realise just how much, until a year or so later looking at the business spend on spare parts … and seeing the year by year amounts … that first year I used their service … the total amount of my spare parts was around $60 less than HALF the previous year. I'm talking thousands of dollars.

I don’t always bother with smaller items or lower priced parts … but whenever I need tubes of switches, relays, ICs or higher priced items … I always ask for a quote first.

The last few years have been nowhere near as generous as the first few … but I won’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

I have seen discounts up to 90% off … yep 90% … though on average now they are more likely to be 15 – 20% … sometimes 30%.

If you need any expensive items or large quantities ... I couldn't encourage you more, to ask for a quote first.

Some of you may have read the thread where I asked for help finding some silicone filler ... and was pointed to the stuff I need ... well I was happy to find it is available at element14

Being expensive at $92.50 a tube, I emailed for a quote.

Couple hours later I had a reply and a price of $74.30.

A 20% saving was well worth the few minutes filling in the form and the few hours waiting for a reply.

I've never bothered doing the same with RS Components or Mouser ... perhaps I should ... I see they both have the option as well.

RS is the same ;) also account holders on both sites get freebies and a bigger discount. mere mortals dont get such good deals, get hold of a rep before ordering, near the BIN end they are willing to get shot cheap as they operate just in time systems, so a bin with 1 roll of wire in stops them getting in more stock, reps have a list on the screen of things to get shot of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back