Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do low fat diets make people fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fat people simply eat too much (mostly fat). Hamburgers, hot dogs and Kentucky Fried Cholesterol.
"All You Can Eat" buffet restaurants are frequented by huge fat people.

So, independent study's are accepted unless challenged?

Does that mean the "French Paradox" has been challenged or not?

From what I read, yes. But goes on to explain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_paradox

I'm surprise no one has mentioned what they banned today. **broken link removed** It takes a while for this to load?

Last edited:
Does France have free medical care for its citizens like here in Canada?
During my heart attack if I was in the US my first thought would be, "How will I pay for it? Maybe it will go away by itself." Then I would have died.
Instead I quickly went to the hospital and got fixed immediately at no cost to me. Then I got a free exercise program in the hospital to build up my cardio system so hopefully it won't happen again. My free drugs include two that reduce bad cholesterol, one that reduces blood pressure and one that makes the heart beat strongly and slower. I pay for an inexpensive baby Asprin each day.

Does France have free medical care for its citizens like here in Canada?
During my heart attack if I was in the US my first thought would be, "How will I pay for it? Maybe it will go away by itself." Then I would have died.
Instead I quickly went to the hospital and got fixed immediately at no cost to me. Then I got a free exercise program in the hospital to build up my cardio system so hopefully it won't happen again. My free drugs include two that reduce bad cholesterol, one that reduces blood pressure and one that makes the heart beat strongly and slower. I pay for an inexpensive baby Asprin each day.

The answer as best could be explained by Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_France

So in France the government pays for 70% of most costs for health care. In Canada it is 100%.

A study feeding rats on a fat free diet resulted in very sick rats.
Farmers feeding cattle waste coconut (saturated fat) found the got active, hungry and lean. Then the used waste soy, corn (polyunsaturated fat) and the slowed down and got fat.

The polyunsaturated fat contain a component called omega 6. The body converts omega 3 and omega 6 fat into a signal messengers called eicosanoids.
The omega 6 eicosanoids are the ones for inflammation, blood clotting and can also block the natural killing of cancer cells.
The omega 3 line are the control and dampen inflammation and the blood clotting. This line also tells the body to stop producing eicosanoids as the level is correct.

When too much omega 6 is consumed these eicosanoids are produced out of control and lead to all the diseases of the late 20th century. Also sugar is almost as toxic.

In simple terms the vegetable oils are toxic to the body but seed oil production is a multi billion or trillion dollar industry and this industry financed the research so the findings are corrupted by the money.

The research that said saturated fat and cholesterol caused heart disease was badly done. More people die of heart problems with low cholesterol that at medium level. healthiest level was 6.5mm/l.

Vince

Prior to my heart attack my blood cholesterol levels were normal probably because the cholesterol coated the insides of my arteries and was not loose in the blood.
For two or three months I had a small pain near my shoulders when I walked. The pain got a little stronger when I excercised. I told my doctor who said it is too high in my body to be my heart (wrong diagnosis). The morning of my heart attack I walked quickly up and down the stairs in my home 3 times then WHAMMO! I felt like I was hit by and run over by a train. Then a quick trip to the hospital.

I felt warm when the (nuclear?) fluid was injected then the screen lighted and I watched the doctor feed his tool into me and I saw two blocked arteries that feed my heart. I saw the stents expand to clear the blockages. The doctor told me I will be fine and he was correct.

I do not think that all of my arteries are clogged with cholesterol, probably a small piece of cholesterol hardened then broke away and got stuck downstream then more and more gathered there over the months.

Losing weight is hard to do if we're stressed. I've tried so many diets and exercises, but all of them are not effective to lose some pounds.You can minimize your body's production of cortisol by simply by learning to relax. And if you need a little help doing this, medical marijuana could become your new best friend. Especially if it can shrink your waistline in the process
Spammers drugs related link deleted. By Moderator.
Thanks!
Are you sure it's stress? Or just eating more due to stress. Because I am both stressed due to various things and had to start skipping lunch because I couldn't find time and it doesn't matter how big a breakfast and dinner I eat. I essentially eat both meals until I feel sick and I'm still losing weight like crazy (undesirable in my case). I do not snack. I really don't see how you can't lose weight when the only food you eat is at breakfast and dinner, spend 7 hours in the middle of the day hungry to the point of exhaustion, and continue to do so for a year. It's tough for me to imagine a person having a metabolism that slow, but damn I wish I had it. It's such a waste of time to have to eat 4 times a day or else feel like you're starving and exhausted.

Last edited by a moderator:
dknguyen, have you been checked for diabetes? A friend of mine had very similar problems putting on weight until diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 45 years old.

Mike.

dknguyen, have you been checked for diabetes? A friend of mine had very similar problems putting on weight until diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 45 years old.

Mike.
I've had a few annual physicals before and nothing ever came up.

According to the NY Times, maybe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/...been-a-big-fat-lie.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

A bit of a long read but very thought provoking.

What do you guys think?

Mike.

The actual answer is this- only insulin makes you fat. It is the _only_ means by which glucose is moved from the blood into fat storage in cells. Period. Knowing this, you can now look at any food and determine whether or not it will cause a spike in insulin. Sugar does it, artificial sweeteners do it. Protein does far, far less, and fat causes almost no spike at all.

Anything that is converted to blood in the sugar, or registered as 'sweet' to the tastebuds, can cause insulin response through various mechanisms. So if you don't want to be fat, keep your insulin level reasonably low the majority of the time.

Most people don't realize that prior to the 50's, people had lard in almost all american foods. No weight gain. People were Healthy. FDA wouldn't approve sugar in the diet. People complained, being mislead, being told that eating fat made them fat. They wanted something else, so the food industry used science to determine that sugar could be vehicle and it was addictive to boot. Donald Rumsfeldt, a lobbyist at the time, broke the FDAs governing body in order to get sugar approved, and now obesity is an epidemic.

These are interesting times when it comes to nutritional science. Ectron is right. We've been fed a lot of BS for almost 70 years. Here's a good reference for those of you who give a damn. I recommend you read it:
"Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes

Being a bit older, I've lived through this AGE OF NUTRITIONAL BS (as I call it) so the new science really blew my mind. Many of the things us older folks have been taught is just plain wrong. Fat is not our enemy. Sugar is the devil and it has found its way into 90% of the foods at your market.

I got wise about a year ago and starting reading a lot on the subject. Since then, I took action and my health has improved (without exercise). Its not that hard, once you understand the science.

There is a very good documentary on the subject "Cereal killers Don't fear fat".

Mike.

I eat 6 small meals throughout the day. My body doesn't think that it's starving, so no fat storage.
I've managed to lose 80 pounds and fight off type 2 diabetes doing this.

Personally, I'd rather eat sugar than high fructose corn syrup. Which means no soda pop for me.

Mexican Coca-Cola is the lesser of all the evils, because they use cane sugar and not HFCS.
I only have it once in a while as a treat, because it's expensive here (Imported...go figure).

As the Greeks say: Παν μέτρον άριστον (Pan Metron Ariston - Everything in moderation)

Oh, a word of advice: Before you start any diet, speak to your doctor.

I believe that you are what you eat. I think that is not a lie but I am not a fan of a low-fat diet. If people want to lose weight then they should eat moderately, and then do workout.

I believe that you are what you eat. I think that is not a lie but I am not a fan of a low-fat diet. If people want to lose weight then they should eat moderately, and then do workout.
That has been shown to be totally wrong.

Mike.

Of course if you eat too much ordinary or junk food and do not exercise you will get bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger and ......

Up to 70% of Western people are obese and up to 29% are overweight. The remaining 1% are normal size and weight like me because we eat moderately and exercise. I eat just a little junk food occasionally. I cut fat off the meats I eat. Some of my foods and drinks have lots of sugar. I do not diet and am hungry only occasionally. I have the same clothing size and weight from when I was about 18 to now at 73 years old.

There are only two creatures on the planet that become obese, humans and animals that are fed by humans. Eat non processed food and you'll not get fat.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back