Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I Need Debugging Headers for 18F Chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Until now I've been using a 16F690 chip in my projects because that was the chip that came with my Pickit2. I would like to try using one of the newer 18F series chips but don't want (can't afford) to buy a debugging header thingy like the one I use with my 16F690 as shown below.

Is it the case that some of the 18F chips have the debugging facilities 'built-in' thus negating the requirement for a seperate header? I've read some of the data sheets but it's still not clear to me if this is the case.

Thanks in advance for any help.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
You will find the 18Fs a lot easier to program with little to bother about with Page and Bank commands.

If you are just experimenting, then get a 40 pin chip - only a few pence dearer - the 18LF4620 is a low price and will also run at 3v3 is you neeed it in the future.

Using a 40 pin will allow you to easily dedicate Mclre, PGC and PGC to the PK2 so no switching over or disconnecting each time you go from Program to Debug to Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back