Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do i need 8051???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi im using an 8051 in a transmitter circuit, the MCU just continuously outputs an 8bit code which is connected to an rf transmitter. My question is do i need an 8051 for such a simple task? I am only thinking about an 8051 because i have used it before but is there a simpler alternative? size of the board is a factor. smaller the better as a person will have to carry around the board.
Thanks

Hi,
You need the microcontroller to perform Manchester coding for the RF module. Or else you'll need a pair of encoder and decoder chip.

I think you are outputting this.
(10010100)00000000000000000000000000000(10010100)00000
There is an 8 bit serial number then 100mS of “0” then the 8 bit again.
A 40 pin 8051 is too big. There are some very small 8051s. I have used 8051s form SiLabs with 10 pins. NXP has parts with 8 pins.

On a different note MicroChip has parts with only 6 pins. You will have to bit bank to make a serial port.

If size is important then look for parts with internal OSC and internal POR. If you cannot do surface mount then use an 8 pin dip + 1 bypass cap. (no crystal OSC)

go to futurlec.com and search for Holtek HT12E and Holtek HT12D.

These are an encoder/decoder pair normally found in keyfob remotes.
I used a couple of these units, very easy and they work great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back