Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diy subwoofer controller circuit (Home Theatre)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy didi

Hi Guys.
I have been building a new plate amp for my hifi subwoofer. Its uses a ported box (not sealed) with a 12'' LF driver.
I have been meaning to build an appropriate controller (low pass filter) with volume, freq and phase switch.
I have come up with the following circuit. Most of it is partially copied from a Sony sub woofer schematic that I have,
Will this circuit work??
What are the changes you would make?
Are there any better circuits I could use.
There isn't any reputable schematics online that people have built and tested except for Rod Elliott's P48, but it needs a special box and driver.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• filter.pdf
    229.3 KB · Views: 294
The centre section at the top appears to be a high pass filter & if my mental calculations are correct, at way above subwoofer frequencies?
The filter at the top right is a pretty common design, but most seems to use rather larger caps - eg. 0.4 or 0.47 feedback and 0.22 to ground.

ps. Be sure to avoid ceramic caps in the audio path - they can cause serious distortion in some applications.

R Jenkins is correct.
I simulated your highpass filter. It attenuates all bass frequencies!
Don't you want 20Hz to rattle your windows and shake your bones?
Increase the resistor values but do not operate a ported woofer below its cutoff frequency.

Attachments

• highpass filter.png
    highpass filter.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 207
Are you using a subwoofer output signal for your signal to the subwoofer or the two stereo signals?

The receiver subwoofer-out signal does not normally need a variable low-pass filter as it is already filtered.
If so, all you may need is a gain pot, and an inverting amplifier for the phase-reversal switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back