Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY POE 8 port switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

Hey all i am trying to modify a Netgear GS108 8-Port gigabit switch with POE on 4 of the ports. Problem is that when i go to test to find out what pins 4/5 and 7/8 are in order to place the positive and negative terminals too, it shows continuity on every pin of echo of the 8!

So in other words, no matter what pin i test for, it always shows continuity so i never know what pin is not being used!

Here is a picture of the board:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Any help would be greatly appreciated since i do not want to fry it :eek:)

Last edited:
Yes, GBE does use all of the wires.

If you want to add POE, look for a MIDSPAN injector and you don't have to modify the switch. POE is still a little crazy.

Your right, there were and probably still are some 100bt injectors that use the spare pair without a signature and there are some "proprietary" formats that even boast 100 W.

They raised the voltages to 57 V DC and used both pairs to increase the current and lower the voltage drop. Furthermore the signaling is two tier. One for POE and a second to address POE+

If i were to connect pins 4/5 (positive) and 7/8 (negative) to the first 6 ports (ports 1-6) i understand that they would be forced to use 10/100mbps instead of 10/100/1000mbps. That being said, would the other 2 ports (7 & 8) be forced to use 10/100mbps as well or would they operate at the normal 10/100/1000mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back