Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Omni-mic (Compensation involved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyTen

Hi! Thank Goodness for Google! I think this is an appropriate place for my concern to be expressed. I'm Donny!

I was browsing the net some time go on tutorials on how to build a condenser and this link caught my attention.

**broken link removed**

However, the diagrams are a little ambiguous to me, i have no electronics experience, but i would love to be able to build the mic described in that link. I don't know many people who do this kinda stuff where i live ( the few I've contacted said they were too busy- I'm desperate)

My idea is that, I'm willing to compensate anyone of you who can make a video putting this thing together. The parts are easy to obtain so that shouldn't be a concern to any of you

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Bad Link!

Ken

I must say I don't see what the article is really about?, it claims to be making a 'condensor mike' but all it does is wire a simple electret mike (rather crudely) to an XLR.

There's no electronics involved in it really, just soldering a couple of wires.

The mic is still shown in the Digikey catalog, but as non-stock. Minimum order 1k. Good luck getting one.

Fortunately there are other articles featuring current models of electret capsules, and also showing how to properly use phantom power.

I knew somebody would ask. I'll be back shortly. :D

[edit:] Probably the best resource for audio circuits is Elliott Sound Products.

A circuit that looks good is: **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Thanks!!!!

Don't forget the grilled cheese sandwiches and the 'tater dip.:p

Edit: You're back witha link. Thanks!

Last edited:
hey there,

The diagrams/circuit may seem simple but those little panasonic mics are a wonder.... I've used them for recording acoustic guitar, piano, cello and they have such a flat response its silly for the price really... google 'linkwitz mod' for how to improve its handling of higher SPL (volume).

When you become a little more electronics savy you might want to add a small preamp inside the mic enclosure, as close to the mic element as possible, better SNR for longer calbes.

Digikey, Farnell, Mouser, supply the panasonic mic elements...although I think the WM-66A is discontinued. Plenty of alternative ones though, both omni, and uni directional.

Good luck, and happy recording,

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back