Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diy guitar ebow

Status
Not open for further replies.
does any one know if you go into this circuit like an amp or do you just connect if to a battery and hold it over the pickup of a guitar.

https://www.logosfoundation.org/elektron/ebow_amp.gif

Also are the coil sizes critical?

It's an e-bow, that means you hold it over the strings. I believe it is battery powered. If you plug it into your amp...would cause issues (would overdrive the input with whatever the coil pickups, probably mains hum).

Its pretty simple, picks up the vibration of the string using the 'pickup coil', amplifies this using a power amp in positive feedback configuration, then drives a second coil, which vibrates the string. I would have thought the pick-up coild would be a coil surrounded a permenant magnet, so it can pickup the vibrating strings (air coil would do sod all)

The circuit looks easy, the hard part will be putting it in an enclosure that can be easily used by a guitarist...and finding the optimal position/configuration of the coils. I say experiment!

Might even have a bash at building one myself..perhaps making it over complicated by adding a distance sensing circuit :D

Blueteeth

This is really neat! I think I'll make one and try on my Gibo LP!

Can get audio transformers out of discarded cordless telephone.

I understand what to use for the input transformer but i don't understand the output one. could someone explain what transformer to use for the output.

Also i could not have a 1N4002 would a 1N4003 work?

I understand what to use for the input transformer but i don't understand the output one. could someone explain what transformer to use for the output.

Also I could not have a 1N4002 would a 1N4003 work?
The input is not a transformer. It is a telephone pickup coil.

The output is the "E" laminations and coil from a transformer with the "I" laminations removed so it projects a magnetic field to the strings.

A 1N4003 is exactly the same as a 1N4002 except it survives a higher reverse voltage. It is fine.

What are ''E'' and ''I'' Laminations?
They are the iron core strips. The wire is wound on the center prong of the E and the I closes the magnetic loop. You want to remove the I iron strips (laminations) so that the magnetic field can escape to the guitar strings.

They are the iron core strips. The wire is wound on the center prong of the E and the I closes the magnetic loop. You want to remove the I iron strips (laminations) so that the magnetic field can escape to the guitar strings.

Good explanation AG! :)

**broken link removed**

Thanks, what 2 out of the 5 wires do i connect the amp to? (Would this transformer work? https://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103254)

Also does any one know how to play the guitar with it? do you touch one of the coils and hold the other one over the pickup? do you touch both on the strings? do you pluck the string first then touch the ebow on it...

and is there a way to test the amp without the coils to make sure it works?

Last edited:
Thanks, what 2 out of the 5 wires do i connect the amp to? (Would this transformer work? Audio Output Transformer - RadioShack.com)

Also does any one know how to play the guitar with it? do you touch one of the coils and hold the other one over the pickup? do you touch both on the strings? do you pluck the string first then touch the ebow on it...

and is there a way to test the amp without the coils to make sure it works?

It's worth a try. I have a good feeling about that transformer if it helps.

No idea what wires, just use trial and error. I think you'll need some permanant magnetism somewhere as well.

I tried an e-bow in my local music shop when they first came out in early 80's, I didn't buy it because it was too expensive for what it was. It was just before MIDI synths came out. You just hold it over the strings instead of picking, the movement of it towards the stringa starts the bowing. Makes a different harmonics depending how near the bridge.

ok, i took a part a cordless phone i got at a thrift store and the pickup (i'm assuming that is the part you talk into) is two little black 1'' diameter mics is that what you are supposed to use? the speaker looks more like what i was imagining it is aboutt 2'' diameter would it work?

I think you'll need some permanant magnetism somewhere as well.

What did you mean by this?

ok, i took a part a cordless phone i got at a thrift store and the pickup (i'm assuming that is the part you talk into) is two little black 1'' diameter mics is that what you are supposed to use? the speaker looks more like what i was imagining it is aboutt 2'' diameter would it work?

What did you mean by this?

look for one of these inside it.
**broken link removed** and remove the 'I's to leave behind the 'E' + windings

Maybe you can hack the earphone out the phone and/or use that too?

by magnetism, I mean something to make the strings detectable. There's also a magnet in the pickup.

The telephone pickup coil is a recording accessory and is not part of a telephone. It picks up the magnetic field of the earphone of a telephone.

Attachments

• telephone pickup coil.PNG
    telephone pickup coil.PNG
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,344
OK, i built the whole thing exactly how it said to and it 1/2 way works. it will sustain (but not infinite) it if i pluck the string then put the pickup up to the string and the transformer kind of under the string really close to the coil any ideas? also i thought ebows are supposed to change the sound this just sustains the normal noise.

OK, i built the whole thing exactly how it said .

Nah! No one builds the "whole thing exactly how it's said". Cos if they did, they wouldn't be saying it don't work! Plus if we all did the exact same thing it'd be well boring.

Have you tried adding magnetism to the sensor?

Last edited:
the sensor is the pickup coil. If it hasn't already, add a magnet to it. Attach with a bit of blu-tac that's all! I think it will increase sensitivty of pickup

About 50 years ago they made the same "elbow" circuit you made to make a guitar sustain.
Today they use a DSP circuit bark like a dog and make many other sounds.

I tried the adding a magnetic to the sensor and it made it a little bit more sensitive but i think the problem is that whenever i touch the sensor on the string that it muted the string any ideas what i should do?

and are you supposed to touch the output transformer/coil on the string?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back