Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Display recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Progress is being made on my little inclinometer project, so I am looking for a graphical display that I can order next week. I've been using the Parallax 2X16 display to date, but now I'm getting more ambitious.

DigiKey carries this Newhaven Display. It is graphic, serial, and 46X34 mm. Its apparent downside is the cable. I prefer pins for being rugged -- at least that is my current bias.

1) Are those flex cables really that fragile? I have soldered to them, cut, scrapped, and resoldered. But I keep worrying when I will eventually run out of cable.

2) Any other recommendation for a serial display of the same size or larger for about $20?

3) Is moving to I2C much more than learning the new protocol? I am using Assembly and have considered upgrading from my 12F683 to a 12F1840 with hardware serial communication.
John

Last edited:
They're basically as strong as the method you use to mount them, the strength of the plastic is incredible, as long as the headers you plug them into are securely mounted to the board I wouldn't worry about them being fragile in the slightest, if you're talking about soldering the ribbon directly to copper traces on a PCB that is not a good idea for durability at all if that's what you're worried about. So definitely use properly soldered connectors and just plug it in.

I2C is just going to require a re-write of your communication code, a one time deal, the hard part will be learning the displays protocol, it's documented in the PDF that's on your link so it'd just be a matter of writing the code, only slightly more involved than the display you're currently using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back