Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Disk IO error 1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

My computer running WIN 2k PRO has crashed. My PC was running strange so I defraged the drive and then ran CHDSK /R. During 3rd step in chkdsk, the PC blue screened with Stop Error 7B.

I rebooted, after the post test, the screen reported disk IO error 1000, then while loading windows BSOD stop error 7B occured.

I assume I need a recovery disk, but discovered I lost my win2K CD. Can I buy a new Win2k CD disk or will I have a problem with registration numbers?

Is there a Boot disk that I might be able to try? I am using my wifes machine and would like to get back to using my own. I have heard that I might be able to use a win XP recovery disk even though mine is win 2k, Is that true?

Thanks

Download it off the net, Microsoft has never really put any serious copy protection on their OS disks, they rely on the CD key itself in general, and the validation process the computer sometimes has to go through to keep pirating down (which didn't work either)

I had the same problem with my brother in laws computer, he still had the same holo-cdkey but put his system disk in storage. I downloaded the discs off a torrent site inside two hours.

If you legally own a license to the software, and simply have a bad or missing disc there is absolutely nothing illegal about burning a new one from another source. Copyright laws are restrictive but not completely neanderthal. Only DRM systems attempt to go to that extent.

Last edited:
So, will a legally purchased disk set work?

yes, but you already purchased the disk no?

Before you do that Mike, I would run some other diags on the entire system. I had a box go belly up this week and it was a bad stick of ram. The problem is that it corrupted the superblock of my volume group. It wasn't obvious until I scanned the ram.

Check out Hiren's utility CD, it's a fantastic set of programs for diags, recovery etc.

The problem I am having is I can't even get into windows, it bluescreens while loading windows with stop error 7B.

I understand your problem. I'm suggesting downloading Hiren's utility CD and scan your entire machine, run several multi-pass test patterns in ram, a surface scan of the drive and then get another winblows CD (for free since you already have a key or if you insist buy one).

I found this link **broken link removed** but where can I download it?

Thanks for te help.

Thanks Gabe:)

So do I just unzip it to a CD? I am not real computer savy.

Last edited:
Actually once unzipped you will see a ISO, just burn it with nero or something like that to make a bootable CD.

So I just copy the ISO file to a CD? Thanks again Gabe.

No... you can't just copy it. The burning software needs to know that it needs to burn the ISO as an image. If you just copy it will not be bootable. Not sure if the software that comes with windows can do that, you can download a demo of nero. I use K3B on linux.

No, generically windows will not be able to burn an iso image. There is more than one free .iso burning software out there.

I have done many many windows 2000 installs for a non profit organization for needy people. Once you do one or two installs, they get easy to do. A great many of the completed installs end up with a missing drivers or two. Laptops often have may missing drivers. You end up with thing like no sound no internet no CD ROM. Name brand computers will have the drivers available on the internet. With the window install disk in hand to can do a complete NEW install or do a repair and keep all of your files. (I an not sure about the drivers) You will have to download missing drivers from the internet from a working computer. This can be quite hassle as drivers have their own way of installing. I would check for availability of the driver before doing anything else. You may not need then, but if you do and it is a hard one to find you may be out of luck. There may be ways of getting the old driver off of your system using a windows 98 CD be it can get technical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back