Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discrete voltage reduction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellTriX

Suppose I have this 12 by 12volt battery bank for ~163v.
I have Mosfet that are going to be using this full voltage, but
my control circuity is rated to 18v max or something like that.

What would be a few ways to reduce this voltage to safe levels for the
Op-amps, 555s, etc?

One what I was thinking was a couple transistors used as a voltage divider.
Would a transistor oscillator used as a PWM signal for a Mosfet be acceptable
to drop this voltage?

I'd like to try to build my own for this rather than use a buck converter thing.

But I'm just collecting ideas at this point.

BTW the control circuity would be low current, less then 2-3amps max, and
if I needed to keep it fairly stable I could drop that to as low as 100-200mA
for the voltage divider to stay within safe limits. Oh, and I would like the
voltage to remain between 12 and 18v. I guess I could use a voltage
regulator after a voltage divider or something. But ya. I don't know..

tnx

hi,
Are the individual 12V battery terminals accessable.?

If Yes, you could use the bottom 2 batteries, referenced to the common end of the 12*12.

This would give 24V which could drive the 18V control voltage regulator, maybe a LM317.

If you are concerned about balancing the charging of the 12 *12 battery bank it would be possible to additional recharge the lower 2 batteries with a 24V floating charger.

The way you are proposing to reduce the voltage by a divider would be very inefficient.

Do you follow this.?

The inefficiency was one of my concerns. But loosing a few watts to run the drive circuity would be trivial in the short term. I was away of the imbalance of trying to take power off one or 2 of the batteries so was just looking for ways around it.

Another option I considered was a triode step down transformer with some sort of oscillator. This would be what, 75-95% efficient? Compared to 40% or something of a transistor voltage divider. But weight is an issue. It would need to be a khz transformer to make it light enough to be beneficial, otherwise a resistive approach would be better.

But I'd really like to keep the battery load balanced and not add complexity and wear and tear on the batteries by adding floating chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back