Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Disassembly Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedurz1

Hi All,

This is more about how to take things apart than about electronics theory, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any website where you can download repair instructions for a Sony DCR-SR300 camcorder.

My camcorder's display went out and someone told me it's just a matter of replacing the 'bulbs' behind the LCD screen, but I'm having a hard time just removing the display itself. I intend to put the whole thing back together in good shape, ie, no shabby bent or broken pieces.

Thanks for any reply.

You're gonna have a tough time finding instructions like that for any modern commercial devices. You might have some luck trying to go through Sony Vendor support, but I'm not so sure they're just going to give out that information anyone that wants it.

Just looking at a quick pic I found of it, I'm going to hazzard a guess you're actually going to have to open the camera itself up to disconnect the ribbon/power cables inside the camera to remove the display. It probably has locking clips at it's edges which may not be easy to do without a special tool.

Even if the backlight is bad you should be able to tell if the display has something on ti if you point it at a high contrast scene.

This display was never designed to be opened for repair, even Sony itself doesnt open it to repair it...they just replace it 100%. The only way to get it open, is to break it open...which is neither clean or neat. It also means that you will probibly break the display even more.
Sony does not support repair questions from consumers for home electronics. SONY just BARELY supplies support for Vendors, and none of it very technical. All Sony will tell you is to take it to a authorised service center, where they will charge you about 60% of the units overall price to repair.
The best way to fix devices like this, is to watch EBay for the same unit, that isnt working, but in a different way than yours isnt working. Use the unit to scalp parts from, although small, compact items like Cameras are VERY VERY difficult to repair...or even open without a LOT of experience.

Last edited:
Hi All,
My camcorder's display went out and someone told me it's just a matter of replacing the 'bulbs' behind the LCD screen, but I'm having a hard time just removing the display itself. I intend to put the whole thing back together in good shape, ie, no shabby bent or broken pieces.
Thanks for any reply.
Often it's the inverter board that fails, not the lamps themselves. The inverter board components are highly specific and not easily obtainable. To open the case, you often need to pry the halves apart, VERY carefully since interlocking tabs are common and can break easily, making for proper reassembly a real task. If you haven't much experience with electronics servicing, let alone SMT type circuit boards, leave things alone and follow the above advice by trying to replace the entire display assembly. Even at that you'll likely need to disassemble the unit enough to remove and reinstall wire connections. These small units are not a walk in the park, even for seasoned techs.!

Here's the disassembly instructions for the LCD monitor.

Attachments

• camera_lcd.GIF
    camera_lcd.GIF
    38.7 KB · Views: 584
The 'claw' bits are the hard part. You're pretty much garunteed to at least scratch the case getting those bits open. I wonder if they sell a tool to pop those open, they're pretty common on a wide number of devices.

Just like they have the jigs to test the boards they may have some sort of mechanical device that applies the pressure at critical points and pop it separates. You just have to know where those points are I used to repair remotes in a similar manner you wouldn't have even known I was in it.

Some remotes were just as " Sceadwian " said I would dig and claw all over it. So you know when they snapped it shut they didn't give a rats behind if anyone could ever get it open.

Designed obsolescence.:rolleyes:

kv

if you need the complete service manual for it you can get it from this site free if you register and join the temp download group(also free)
mike
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back