Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Directions, what would you do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

OK, I am limited on time cause (First I'm 51 years old) I have to work 8 hour day's. And I hate waisting time. But I have an opportunity to get some secondary education.

I work at a University and I want to learn how to control devices using Crestron equipment. Using their software I have a local cable company that is going to sponsor me as an A+ partner.

The school will fly me, no cost. So all is Great !

But in the long run I would like to continue my research in this forum to learn programming pics and such to increase my knowledge of electronics as well.

I'm guessing the two things are the same just different languages one is Object and the other is embedded. If not should I just pursue controlling equipment and such. :confused:

You should always pursue what you want to do, if you want both equally, I would do what has the best opportunities for you.

I would do what has the best opportunities for you.

Thanks, your in school doing what I should have done years ago.

Now it's about money and job security. And your (spot on) as one of the other's folks here in the forum would say.

I believe there is a crossroad. And I will reap the benefits.

killivolt said:
Choice#1:
I work at a University and I want to learn how to control devices using Crestron equipment. Using their software I have a local cable company that is going to sponsor me as an A+ partner.

The school will fly me, no cost. So all is Great !

Choice#2:
But in the long run I would like to continue my research in this forum to learn programming pics and such to increase my knowledge of electronics as well.

I have added a couple of edits to the quote to help identify the choices.

First, what do you mean by secondary education? Do you mean college credits or high school? If it is high school, that opens a different discussion, but there are ways to get an equivalency degree and continue with your full-time job. If it is college, and considering your age, I would not put a lot of weight on earning credits per se vs. the practical value of the education.

That said, my recommendation without hesitation is Choice #1. My perspective: I am retired, spent 17 years in academic research, and 17 years in management.

If you want more rationale for that choice, I would be happy to provide it, but experience tells me that long replies are likely to go unread.

Hope you make the right decision. John

killivolt said:

QUOTE]

hi,
I feel the same way as John, its #1 choice.:)

You are not old, but you are getting close to thinking about retirement and the related pensions.

The second choice, though interesting, will not pay the bills.

Like John, I am also retired, but it dosn't stop us both continuing our forum and electronics interests.

jpan, thanks for the reply and I'm not real hip on trying to get college credit's and It's purely for personal needs to facilitate my occupation. It may provide some certificates if I can complete the necessary test's involved.

Edit: I didn't see your post Eric. And Thank you.

In addition I PM "audioguru" he said thumbs up to learning here as well.

Last edited:
killivolt-

I too work at a Univ. and we use AMX, versus Crestron, so I know exactly the kind of canoe you are about to paddle. The most important advice I could offer is to seek approval from your supervisor and or Admin. Quite often they will be very happy to comply, esp. when it's in the interest of further educating one's self--- afterall that's the line of business they are in! Receiving certificates, even when it's not all that related to your vocation, is often welcomed by institutes of higher learning... because it that much more accredidation you have. Even something as basic as being a Boy Scout leader is welcomed, since it displays leadership and community involvement.

Two days ago I taught 3 workshops to high school students on using touch screen technology, demonstrating AMX (of course!). We have received great service from AMX and plan to install more of their products and the company president is supposed to be paying us a visit soon. There's something good to be said about a company where the prez. gets involved right along with regional sales managers.
Crestron is another fine product brand.

Thank you, HiTech. I can't go the training sessions right now but it will be approved. I'm trying to get one of my network guy's in my office to go with. We have to wait until things calm down here and our new library is moved. We will be moving the hole (Distance Education Department) into another building.

We just received the New HD Tandberg Equipment today for the Navajo Nation. It's funny because right now there is only one place we can connect up to in HD. In addition their is a audio pickup that comes with it an interesting piece of plexiglass that is supposed to pick up all the audio from the participants instead microphones ? I'm not sure how well it will perform.

Here in Salt Lake City there is a Company that has developed a system that is completely digital it is capable of a similar thing. But the device is mounted hundreds of feet away in one location. Steven Spielberg is interested in this Technology 1/2 millon us + for the system. I've experienced the sound quality and it is such an improvement over straight analog.

I guess we have become a (Test Site) for the new equipment.

Bob Scott said:
I would really like to hear that. So far, the digital quality sound that I have heard, especially on a good set of speakers, sounds awful. The high frequencies of television audio going through it's digital distribution sound like hundreds of tamborines in a cement mixer.

CD audio with its sampling rate at 43 KHz isn't much better. Of course if you have Radio Shack or department store quality tweeters you aren't going to be able to hear how crappy the sound is anyway.

Nyquist was such a stupid twit!

It began as a broadcast on a local News Channel here with a split screen of analog vs new digital.

The news reporter stood in an am pa Theater with a hand held microphone then he said this is the sound from our normal microphones.

Then he moved over to the other side of the split screen showing (New Digital Capture saying exactly the same thing and it was very crisp.)

I have no idea how the studio's will be able to handle it or what it will sound like ?

But what was impressive was when the camera man turned the camera around and zoomed to the location of the Digital Capture divice it was mind blowing clear into the nose bleed section.

Last edited:
Last week I attended an equipment expo that featured HD Polycom conferencing. It's slick for those who need HD for things like Art History class or special engr. apps. Otherwise for talking heads in a room, it's a needless expense and present day 384/768K systems suffice well.

There was a time where I favored Crestron over AMX due to simplicity and straight forwardness of use. That has changed now once I began to familiarize myself with the inner workings of AMX design. Again, both companies are very good at what they do. I know for a fact that AMX is very particular on who they bestow the title of "factory authorized" to and their training is on-going for the programmer.

Last week I attended an equipment expo that featured HD Polycom conferencing. It's slick for those who need HD for things like Art History class or special engr. apps. Otherwise for talking heads in a room, it's a needless expense and present day 384/768K systems suffice well.

There was a time where I favored Crestron over AMX due to simplicity and straight forwardness of use. That has changed now once I began to familiarize myself with the inner workings of AMX design. Again, both companies are very good at what they do. I know for a fact that AMX is very particular on who they bestow the title of "factory authorized" to and their training is on-going for the programmer.

I was just informed yesterday about some people who have a competing Conferencing System will be here to demo their product. My boss didn't tell me who? but, I will let you know which one. Funny thing is that the setup people who are coming to do the install of the New Tandberg HD stuff will be here the same day.

He he, That's when I said to my boss well let's get those Tandberg experts over there to let them see their competition ! He just smiled at me I was dead serious about it.

I thought I want to know what is so damn special about this equipment and why did the Local Education Network think it was superior to other systems ?

I want to pump them for info on their product after the competitor's demo.

Questions like so they have this and you don't and what about Ect. Just to see if they stumble at all. Because, these people are setup as well as people who will be testing and they should know their own product ?

Tandberg makes a good conferencing unit- easy user friendly too. I use Polycom because apparently it interfaces with AMX better... another reason that kept me from using Crestron. Although we do have a new installation in a conferencing center that has a Crestron controller. It will be interesting to hear from you about the new Tandberg unit.

Tandberg makes a good conferencing unit- easy user friendly too. I use Polycom because apparently it interfaces with AMX better... another reason that kept me from using Crestron. Although we do have a new installation in a conferencing center that has a Crestron controller. It will be interesting to hear from you about the new Tandberg unit.

After Tuesday I will be having a fun (Sarcastic) week. So, I'll do my best to get any info on here before weeks end.

Last edited:
They hooked up the new HD Tandberg. My boss is mad because as a test site we got a deal with our Combo System at 60,000 K. The Plex Glass mic pickup is maybe not Digital maybe analog (Just my Opinion). Pickup is good not fantastic a little low because of gain control. No chop all done with the (Echo Cancelation) in the Tandberg.

Now as for the people who did the demo at the same time. Well that thing rock's 30 fps (Good). Fish eye wide angle Camera's (Come with the package.) We have to buy our own Camera's (Bad).

Life Size is the equipment chipsets integrated and is smaller package. And is pumping out the video as a good stream refresh not bad either. The Cable TV people will be testing them to see what they want in the future.

They will have it for a week this product will be much cheaper overall. The Company claims that there putting in the best and counting on upgrade software in future releases. I'm sure it will be a few $$$$.

!5k for the Multi Broadcast and around 5 to 7k for the point to point system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back