Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DipTrace - Finding Substitute Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quercus

I've searched a lot of threads and tutorials for this, but have so far not found anything helpful.

I'm working on a schematic in DipTrace with the intent of creating a PCB, so the patterns associated with the component matters. I buy my components from DigiKey. But so far, not a single component I've looked for, from converters, resistors, inductors, to opamps, has shown up within the DipTrace library. With millions of components in the world out there, I'm not surprised that DipTrace's library doesn't have every one, but I am surprised that of all the parts I've looked for, it hasn't had a single one.

I know how to create a component from scratch in the component editor and pattern editor, but I don't want to have to do that for every piece in my project. I'd be quite content to use a substitute symbol and pattern, but I don't know how to find one with exact hole sizing and spacing that matches my actual part.

Take, for example, a 4.7 uF through-hole ceramic capacitor from TDK. It has a lead diameter of 0.5mm and a lead spacing of 5.0mm. There is nothing particularly remarkable about this, and I'm sure there are many other parts with the exact same characteristics. But how do I find a suitable match?

Thanks.

Try using Designspark PCB instead.

That uses a component library service where you can request any component be added to the library & there are already a vast number both included and available from the online library.

And it is all totally free.

Online component library:

There is a possibility that you can get components for the system you are using from that, if it's compatible.

But how do I find a suitable match?

Have you used the "filters" on the Digikey search? By choosing your parameters and searching you should find something the same that is in the DipTrace library.

Or there is something called Library Loader, it finds and loads components into your library. I use Dip Trace but haven't tried Library Loader yet, but it's supposed to work with DipTrace.

Have you used the "filters" on the Digikey search?
I've certainly used filters, but haven't seen a DigiKey library within Diptrace. I know that Digikey has a KiCad library that can be imported, but there's only a few thousand components in it.

Back to my 4.7uF example in the OP, I'm sure there are many components for a capacitor within DipTrace that have a pattern suitable for my cap with 0.5mm dia leads spaced at 5mm. But the best I've been able to do so far is to hunt-and-peck, just randomly searching through all the DipTrace cap components looking.

Is there some kind of standard labeling for parts that is not manufacturer dependent that I can use within the DipTrace filter? For example, the exact part number for my 4.7 uF cap is "FG28X5R1E475KRT06". Gibberish unless you work in TDK's stocking department. Is there, perhaps, a field that would accept something like "C 4.7UF 5.0" (I just made that up) to return any 4.7 uF cap with a 5 mm lead spacing, regardless of manufacturer or exact manufacturer part number?

I just have to assume there's a better way than what I'm doing, 'cus it's quite tedious.

Is there, perhaps, a field that would accept something like "C 4.7UF 5.0" (I just made that up) to return any 4.7 uF cap with a 5 mm lead spacing, regardless of manufacturer or exact manufacturer part number?

That is available in Digikey filters, but you also would need to add the voltage. Doing that will give you all of the manufactures and their part numbers. But for something simple like a ceramic cap, I would just use the generic DipTrace cap fitting the dimensions you need, then name it what you want. It's been a while since I've used DT but the generic sizes would have fit most of the different simple stuff.

Are you using DT correctly? Starting out with Schematic Capture? Not trying to be rude but it seems like your not doing something right with it.

Yes, starting out with schematic capture, thanks, and watched many tutorials, so I think I'm good what on my basic overall usage. I'm just struggling on finding parts that don't require that I use component editor and pattern editor for every piece I have to place, which is about what I've had to do so far. Whether it's creating the component/pattern from scratch, or finding something similar and then tweaking it by moving the holes around, I've needed to modify every part so far. It's just tiring and I was hoping, with so many components already in the library, that there was a way of finding a stock part that I can place and move on to the next one.

The search engine link I posted is for the Samacsys component database.

The RS search can find parts from their RS components part numbers - so if you can find a suitable item in the RS online catalog,you can get the PCB version from the database.

Many do have long and obscure names when you download them, but you can rename them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back