Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diode current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,

I have a diode in place on my project and as the project has grown the current has increased so I was checking things and wondered if I need to replace this for a larger diode?

In my project the current can reach 1A when LEDS flash (20 of them) but these only flash for 500ms and then are off for 10 seconds, I do however sometimes flash them 3 times with a 500ms delay between them.

The diode that the main supply passes through is this one

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/03/MBR0520L.pdf

if has a IFsm of 5.5A "Non repetitive peak forward current", I am unsure what this means so cannot determine if this diode will be OK?

Anyone help?

Thx

Steve

It means it can stand a large surge for a short period of time with a huge break inbetween surges.

For example if you built a circuit consisting of the diodes arranged as a bridge rectifier, a capacitor and a small transformer, it'll be able to stand the surge when the power is turned on and capacitor initially charges.

More like a 20 times a day not 2000

Hi, Hero999

So as my title says it's more like a once per session and it's OK to have 20 sessions a day but not 2000.

I suppose whilst I'm only drawing 1A and not 5.5A I'm doing it for 500ms so it needs replacing, I would think 500ms is a long time for the diode even at a lower than spec current? would I be right in thinking this?

Thx

Steve

Diode

500ms is almost the same as a century for a diode.

It has to work somewhat faster rectifying 50 or 60Hz from the power supply tranformer. There the times are 20 respectively 16 2/3 ms.

Don't worry. A 5A diode can withstand your lousy 1A forever!

Boncuk

Boncuk said:
Don't worry. A 5A diode can withstand your lousy 1A forever!
Boncuk
The MBR0520L diode is rated for 0.5A average current.
Scarr said:
I suppose whilst I'm only drawing 1A and not 5.5A I'm doing it for 500ms so it needs replacing, I would think 500ms is a long time for the diode even at a lower than spec current? would I be right in thinking this?
Yes, I would upgrade the diode for maximum reliability. Find a diode with better than 1A capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back