Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew8485

hello i have been learning about basic fm radio (complacated) and need some one to point me into the right direction, i want to find some info on how the newer radios work, the ones that when you push a button it scans thew the freuencys or to a memory frequency i tried to do a search but no luck on that topic. i know i can to it with a rotation know hooked on a var cap but how do i so it like new radios ,with the push of a buttion, can some one lead me in the right direction with a search idea thanks a mill

andrew8485 said:
hello i have been learning about basic fm radio (complacated) and need some one to point me into the right direction, i want to find some info on how the newer radios work, the ones that when you push a button it scans thew the freuencys or to a memory frequency i tried to do a search but no luck on that topic. i know i can to it with a rotation know hooked on a var cap but how do i so it like new radios ,with the push of a buttion, can some one lead me in the right direction with a search idea thanks a mill

They work by using a 'varicap diode', this is a device whose capacitance varies as it's reverse bias changes - actually most rectifier diodes do this fairly well. There are then basically two ways of searching, you can use a slow analogue ramp to scan the tuning, or you can do it digitally within a PLL (Phase Locked Loop) - where the software would sequentially increase the frequency in the correct steps.

Thank you all for replying now i can do more research with the info you gave me. these are the reasons why message boards are just as important as search engines thanks

i just got around to looking these topics up and it apears that i need to use programing to do this. does any one have a scamatic of a nice radio. there is accually not alot of tutorials on the web thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back