Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital potentiometer control

Status
Not open for further replies.

tester123

Hi, everbody. My question is can I control a digital potentiometer with a rotary potentiometer. I want to use a 5K pot to control a digital pot so i can get a 0 - 100K output. What I want to do is use a remote control transmitter gutted of all electronics expect ofcourse the 5k pots so I can output to a PC gameport. All game ports use a 100k pot. So I need a 100k output from a 5k pot. I thought of using a digital 100k pot but I really have no experience with them. Maybe somebody may have a different idea on how to do this and help me out.

Thanks for any help

tester123 said:
Hi, everbody. My question is can I control a digital potentiometer with a rotary potentiometer. I want to use a 5K pot to control a digital pot so i can get a 0 - 100K output. What I want to do is use a remote control transmitter gutted of all electronics expect ofcourse the 5k pots so I can output to a PC gameport. All game ports use a 100k pot. So I need a 100k output from a 5k pot. I thought of using a digital 100k pot but I really have no experience with them. Maybe somebody may have a different idea on how to do this and help me out.

Joysticks only use a small part of the 100K track, so you don't need 100K travel - try measuring one to see how much you need!.

why dont you use a rotery encoder insted or the 5k and use a micro processteor to control your digital pot. also how many steps in the digital potenitomiter is going to directly reflect on your sensitivity especialy considering that you are not useing the full range of the pot. i have not used a digital potentiomiter in your aplication, but i would sugust atleast a 100 step digital potentiomiters. here is a couple links to manufacturs of digi pots, io hope the application notes can prove useful. **broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back