Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital energy meter using PIC 16F676/16F873A [Urgent Response Required]

Status
Not open for further replies.

meetheboss

Hello , i m in the final year of my electrical engineering and is given a final year project to make a digital energy meter using microcontrollers...

now the idea abt the project comes to me according to the figure below

256-18473340658893418213.jpg

moving towards the project ... i have got the 1st task for power measurement unit.. for which i need to design the circuitory..

my external examiner has set following limitations in the circuit.

1. No CT & PT to be used.
2. PIC 16F676/16F873A to be used.
3. No energy measuring ICs to be used.

now i have devised to make a circuit to convert a single phase line (220v 50Hz) to 5volts ...

257-51489501467279477568.jpg

but i need to know how to convert this to dc 5volts and then fed to ADC..

secondly i m not able to think abt an ac current measurement circuit which would be scaled for the dc level to be fed to ADC .

thirdly how should i decide which ADC to be used

Hello , i m in the final year of my electrical engineering and is given a final year project to make a digital energy meter using microcontrollers...

moving towards the project ... i have got the 1st task for power measurement unit.. for which i need to design the circuitory..

now i have devised to make a circuit to convert a single phase line (220v 50Hz) to 5volts ...

secondly i m not able to think abt an ac current measurement circuit which would be scaled for the dc level to be fed to ADC .

hi,
Look at this image for a precision rectifier circuit.

PrecRect2.gif

I would consider using some form of mains isolation for the 240Vac to 5Vac circuit.
Either a small transformer or an opto coupler.:)

256-18473340658893418213.jpg

257-51489501467279477568.jpg

I think u can use the MECHANICAL setup being used in the normally house hold meters. there is no CT or PT used in those meters. but a disk rotates due to the magnetic fields(2-magnetic fields 1-due to current and 2- due to voltage). I think after 60 rotations of that disk 1-unit drops(i.e. the mechanical display scheme is incremented)

to digitalize this scheme....
you can measure the no. of rotations of the disk by using microController in counter mode (use infrared transceiver to measure the no. of rotations) after 60-rotations increment the display(LCD showing no. of units consumed)....and thats it...

if you still feel trouble then contact with me i'll mail you ma project.

I think u can use the MECHANICAL setup being used in the normally house hold meters. there is no CT or PT used in those meters. but a disk rotates due to the magnetic fields(2-magnetic fields 1-due to current and 2- due to voltage). I think after 60 rotations of that disk 1-unit drops(i.e. the mechanical display scheme is incremented)

to digitalize this scheme....
you can measure the no. of rotations of the disk by using microController in counter mode (use infrared transceiver to measure the no. of rotations) after 60-rotations increment the display(LCD showing no. of units consumed)....and thats it...

if you still feel trouble then contact with me i'll mail you ma project.

bro the problem is i have to actually replace those dial roatating meters to electronic digital measurement ... u know external magnetic field could cause issue with the rotating magnetic dial

This project is done 100s of times a year by EE students. There are applications notes all over the net. Try TI, microchip, linear, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back