Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differentiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaRyu

We have a project about approximating roots and differential equations.
We are required to create a program in MATLAB that will show an application of the said topic.

Hi,

Good luck and i agree, show us what you are doing so we know what exactly your class is working on.

Hi,

Good luck and i agree, show us what you are doing so we know what exactly your class is working on.

ooops. Forgot to ask a question.
I can't think of any good application for differentiation.
All I can think of is trajectory but my professor said not to use that because its too common.
Any good ideas?

All I can think of is trajectory but my professor said not to use that because its too common.
Any good ideas?

Similar to an active or passive first-order lowpass, which acts as a lossy integrator a high-pass of first order (active/passive) can be regarded as a lossy differentiator.
This also is a rather common application - however, perhaps it satisfies your prof.

ooops. Forgot to ask a question.
Any good ideas?

Hi,

Well, differentiation is used for some many applications in the world today it would be harder NOT to think of some ideas :)
Seriously though, differentiation is an extremely important tool for use in so many areas of engineering and science.

Lets start with something from approximation theory. Enter: Approximation using differentials. This is where we have a function and we want to approximate the solution to some number of decimal places but we dont have that function built in on our calculator for example.
So start with finding the square root of 5 using "Approximation by differentials" for the square root of a number.

Another topic that is often discussed is commonly referred to as "Related Rates". This is where you know the rate of one thing and you have to find the rate of something that is 'related' to that rate. An example is a ladder leaning up against a wall of a house, making say a 45 degree angle with the ground. The BOTTOM of the ladder begins to slip and start moving away from the house, at a rate of X inches per second. You then have to calculate the rate of movement that the TOP of the ladder is sliding down the side of the wall of the house. So the rate the top of the ladder slides down the wall is related to the rate that the bottom of the ladder slides along the ground. You are given one rate and you have to calculate the other rate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back