Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between pic16f877 and pic 16f877A ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi;

i am sorry if i post this thread in a wrong place. i didn't find any specific room for PIC micros in this forum.

kindly tell me the difference between pic16f877 and pic16f877A . can they b used for the same purpose interchangably i.e; one in place of other.

my first project on pic has been started and i need your help.

thank u

They are virtually the same.... however I wouldn't go for the pic16f877a either..... the newer pic16f887 is a far better choice and is half the price.

The main micro controller section is where we put PIC stuff

Lol what's the difference is what was ask 16F877 was the first part number the chip has bugs "Due to Errata" so they fixed it and call it a 16F877A.
Bugs may not be the right word "Due to Errata" but you can read the data sheet and it tells what was not up to par on the 16F877.
ADC had changes was one thing. I can't remember them all but this tells you the changes https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39591a.pdf
I myself would use a newer part like said there cheaper and can do more.

Functional Differences Due to Errata or Module Update: 1 Analog Comparator Two analog comparators with input multiplexing have been added (Note 1) (Note 1) 2 Programmable reference voltage for comparators is provided 3 ICSPTM Programming specifications are different(2) Yes 4 User Writes to FLASH Write to FLASH program memory in 4-word blocks, instead of 1-word blocks(2) Yes Legend: H/W – Issues may exist with regard to the application circuit. S/W – Issues may exist with regard to the user program. Prog – Issues may exist when writing the program to the controller

Last edited:
To be more 'exact' the A is a 'later silicon revision' - it 'may' contain some bug fixes, it 'may' represent a move from EEPROM to FLASH, it 'may' be a later device altogether (hence the added facilities).

Essentially it's common for them to update old chips with newer technology - which is usually cheaper for them to make (such as the 887), but they make a legacy version as well to sell for a higher (older type) price.

later silicon revision
That's the words I was thinking.. As a added The code on a 16F877 should run on the 16F877A without much problems.
But the 16F877A code can cause problems trying to load it on a 16F877 I had that happen due to "S/W – Issues may exist with regard to the user program."

For as long as the 88x family has been out I'm shocked that I still run into requests for 87x how to's. As has been stated here, the 88x family is far cheaper and has quite a few enhancements over the 87x. Should be a breeze to port 87x code over to the 88x family. Why even waste time with the 87x?

OK, I have seen pic18f4550 which work at very high speed!
so, it is good choice and some manufacture use Philips CPU which is that?
and in scrolling card there is external EEPROM connected to LOAD more font in it to avoid pic micro occupy less memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back