Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Difference between 16F84 and 16F84A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiou

can somebody tell me the difference between the PIC 16F84 and 16F84A. And which one of the 2 is better for newbies in PICs.

not much difference. 84A has extra comparator. The way the code is programmed is different. Some older PICSTART plus may not support A series

Keiou said:
can somebody tell me the difference between the PIC 16F84 and 16F84A. And which one of the 2 is better for newbies in PICs.

There's a migration document on MicroChip's website at http://www.microchip.com/download/lit/migrat/30072b.pdf.

There's hardly any difference (but it will run at 20MHz rather than just 10MHz), it's basically just a later silicon revision, StupidDum looks to be mistaken about the 84A having a comparator, there's no mention of it in the migration sheet or datasheet.

Perhaps he's thinking of the 16F628?, this is essentially the replacement for the 16F84 and 16F84A - it has more facilities, is cheaper, and is a pin for pin replacement for them (the only code change required is to turn off it's comparators - if you don't need them).

This was why I picked the 16F628 for my PIC tutorials - internal oscillator (makes it easier to use), 16 available I/O pins (on an 18 pin chip), easily programmed.

For a beginner, use the 16F628 - check my PIC tutorials (complete with hardware designs) at **broken link removed** or http://www.winpicprog.co.uk (when the web forwarding service is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back