Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Device Design Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrymlUrg

I am needing some design help. I understand circuit diagrams and how to make PCB's. However, I do not understand circuit design and modification. So, please keep in mind while you read this post that I am not an electronic engineer or tech. As if you won't be able to figure that out. :) I do, however, know how to figure out a circuit diagram, build PCB's, and solder components.

I want to start off by saying that I understand that not everyone thinks positively about HHO generators and their ability to offset the amount of fuel used in an engine. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Whether you agree or disagree is not the point. I have built and seen that they can split water into H2 and O. I am in the process of finding out for myself if a large scale installed system can reduce fuel consumption. I also know that this system will not replace the need to use petroleum fuel in my vehical. My intent is to offset the amount of fuel used.

That being said, here's what I would like to accomplish.

There are several devices that are used to optimize and monitor HHO production. I want to combine these devices into one panel for tuning and monitoring. I can find schematics for the majority of these devices.

The final device would include a remote panel located in the dash. It would include an LCD to display information and all variable resistors would be relocated to this panel. The panel would also include a power switch to control the entire system.

1. PWM - 50+ amps. The best on I can find is a prebuilt unit from bakatronics item number MXA068. I was planning on removing the variable resistors from the unit. Unless someone can find a comparable schematic that could be used to create a PCB from.

2. Engine Temperature. Faster response than a standard vehicle temp gauge.

3. Water Temp.

4. Water Level.

5. System Voltage.

6. System Amps.

7. MAP Enhancer - Dual for city and highway.

The LCD display would show volts, amps, engine temp, and water temp. A small group of LED's (3-5) would indicate water level. Variable resistors for the PWM and MAP Enhancer and a system power switch would be located on the panel. I would also like to add an LED for each circuit to show that the circuit is working. For example, if the engine temp circuit fails then the LED will go out.

Other than my lack of design ability, here are some of the issues:

Some of the schematics call for less than 12v and/or are designed for battery operation. Not sure how to adjust the supply voltage. Not sure how to display volts, amps, engine and water temp on an LCD. And what effect, if any would moving the VR's off their respective PCB's and moving them to the remote panel. Will the added wire length change the resistance drastically? I would like to contained all PCB's in one enclosure and all input/output wires should connect to the outside of the enclosure.

So, if anyone can help out by pointing me to schematics for what I am looking for, or if you would be willing to modify or lay out some schematics for me, I would greatly appreciate it. If you would like me to send you the schematics that I have found or post them here, just ask. Let me know if I explained all that correctly. All positive responses are welcome. And Thank You in advance for any help that you can provide.

Last edited:
If you're "enhancing" he MAP operation, please don't try it with the air that I breathe.

The thing that people do first when experimenting with their emission controls is to mess up the air. Later they might get better fuel economy, but they never bother to bring the emissions back into compliance.

Response to mneary and Question modification.

One of the benefits from these systems aside from increased fuel ecconomy is an decrease in emissions. I am not looking for just an decrease in fuel consumption. I am also looking to increase emission quality. I am checking out this type of system to see if it will improve both. If I can not increase fuel ecconomy and improve air quality then I won't use it. Reduce fossil fuel use and improve air quality.

So, let's change the question a little.

1. If a variable resistor is designed to be placed directly on the PCB, will removing the VR from the board and connecting it with lead wires change the operation of that VR?

2. I need assistance with modifing a schematic for water level sensing. The original design contains an alarm buzzer. I want to use 12v to supply for power, remove the buzzer, and add an LED to indicate that the circuit is working. Here's a link to the schematic. **broken link removed**.

3. I need assistance with designing a schematic combining the functions of engine temp, water temp, volts, and amps and display the ooutput on one LCD.

4. How do I add an LED into a schematic so that it will indicate that the device is working?

Last edited:
1. If a variable resistor is designed to be placed directly on the PCB, will removing the VR from the board and connecting it with lead wires change the operation of that VR?

2. I need assistance with modifing a schematic for water level sensing. The original design contains an alarm buzzer. I want to use 12v to supply for power, remove the buzzer, and add an LED to indicate that the circuit is working. Here's a link to the schematic. **broken link removed**.

3. I need assistance with designing a schematic combining the functions of engine temp, water temp, volts, and amps and display the ooutput on one LCD.

4. How do I add an LED into a schematic so that it will indicate that the device is working?

Interesting project!

1. In most cases you can't do this. The VR may pass sensitive signals and needs to remain local. If you post schematics of the circuit that has the VR, we can say if it is possible.

2. That schematic for water level sesning is not suitable for use inside an electrolyser. I would suggest something that does NOT connect electrically with the water. Maybe a watertight float switch, there are plenty on the market for use in tanks and water systems.

3. A custom LCD display that reads many different sensors is not a trivial project. Most microcontroller experts can build you one, or maybe give you a helping hand, but nobody is likely to do the whole thing and hand it to you. :)

4. That's easy, all you need is a LED and a resistor to set it's brightness, and it will light up whenever there is power present. If "working" means something more specific, you need to say what "device is working" means.

Interesting project!

1. In most cases you can't do this. The VR may pass sensitive signals and needs to remain local. If you post schematics of the circuit that has the VR, we can say if it is possible.

2. That schematic for water level sesning is not suitable for use inside an electrolyser. I would suggest something that does NOT connect electrically with the water. Maybe a watertight float switch, there are plenty on the market for use in tanks and water systems.

3. A custom LCD display that reads many different sensors is not a trivial project. Most microcontroller experts can build you one, or maybe give you a helping hand, but nobody is likely to do the whole thing and hand it to you. :)

4. That's easy, all you need is a LED and a resistor to set it's brightness, and it will light up whenever there is power present. If "working" means something more specific, you need to say what "device is working" means.

1. I haven't been able to locate a schematic for the device I want to use (MXA068 PWM) or a suitable alternative. If I am unable to find a schematic then I will purch the MXA068.

2. I am planning on building a dry cell. The water level sensors will be placed in the tank suppling water to the cell. It won't be located in the electrolyser itself.

4. Working meaning that there is power flowing through the circuit.

3. I know that I am going to word this wrong since I'm not a designer. But I'll give it a shot. How about putting all four predesigned circuits on one board and feeding the output through a chip to process for the LCD? Don't laugh.

Depending on what it is you are using for sensor signals there are some stand alone LCD meters and other monitoring devices that can take most common sensor signals and turn them into digital readouts.
Its more a matter of deciding whats needed and whats not. Digital read outs are nice show off items but can quickly make a basic concept become complex and expensive to make.

All the things you want to monitor right now can be read with simple resistive output type sensors or done directly just using off the shelf digital panel meters that sell for about $12 each or less on eBay.
They are prebuilt for different voltage and current ranges but with the specs sheet for the IC they use its very easy to modify them for other ranges and signal input functions.
I have done this with several in fact! They are cheaper to buy than what you could ever build one for in the first place and the end result is they look better too!

I still think you might have problems with any electrical contacts in the water. Won't the water have an electrolyte dissolved in it? And it will connect to the electrolyser via some pump etc that may at times allow electrical connection as things slosh around. Just get a sealed float switch and be safe from the start. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back