Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Desulfator Engine, Heavy duty, DIY, Overnight results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:
I'm starting a Hackaday project to open source my proven desulfator engine. This is a pulse charge engine for batteries outside the vehicle as it delivers 250W RMS capability to the battery with up to 800A pulses.
https://hackaday.io/project/25741-desulfator-engine-for-climate-change-mitigation

I am not open sourcing the whole automation project but I will support those who want to do it.
This is for the DIY folks who need a stable pulse engine they can add controls to and experiment with. The battery cell pics are a b4 and after of the same cell showing the improvements.
cell2-1020sg.jpg cell2-1240sg.jpg inductance.png Bosch1.jpg

Ok, the first schematic and PCB layout are posted as are some ref. docs about design etc.

Hello. The schematic presumably shows a 6.6mF capacitor bank switched across a lead acid battery. What voltage are the capacitors charged to, and how frequently are they discharged into the battery?

36V, 400 to 700Hz.
Thanks. Wow, that's a lot of power. 36V discharged to 12V battery (say pulse cutout at 20V) at 400 Hz is >1kW. I might dial it back a bit and try with some dodgy SLA batteries I have needing treatment.

Well, it might seem so, but a substantial amount of the pulses are lost to parasitics such as connector & cable impedance as well as in circuit impedance. Capacitor ESR must be kept to a minmum, I tested a number of capacitors before settling on the suitable type.
Have a look at the 'scope trace for a pulse and you can see the actual power delivery. In reality I see around 33% efficency based on what the battery actually accepts when subtracting the associated heating losses from impedance inside the battery as well as the power delivery subsystems.

Mosaic Would it be possible for you to post a JPEG of the schematic here, please? I don't use Eagle and it doesn't open with other CAD software for me. Thank you.

Mosaic Would it be possible for you to post a JPEG of the schematic here, please? I don't use Eagle and it doesn't open with other CAD software for me. Thank you.
Here's a 150
dpi schematic.
EagleCAD offers a free use license for viiewing and printing schematics and layouts
Schematic-PulseEngine1.png
Screenshot_1.png

Attachments

• PulseEngineV1-BOM.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 397
As ever, Mosaic, I tip my hat to your skill and hard work. It's heartening to see someone put this much effort into a project with such laudable goals.
it's also very satisfying to see something we've seen discussed so much here on ETO reach a stage of "completion" .

The hackaday project link in the 1st post now carries the PDFs of the toner transfer layouts for easy DIY and parts placement pdfs.

The Drain and source traces require buttressing with solder braid or # 18AWG bare wire to carry the pulse currents.

The commercial desulfator just went global...first order out of West Africa, even before commercial product launch!
Prepaid, of course...

The commercial desulfator just went global...first order out of West Africa, even before commercial product launch!
Prepaid, of course...
I am African Prince. My uncle has shipping container containing solid gold Rolls Royce stuck in shipping container in your country. If you send me free desulfator I bring you big reward....?

Keep up the good work. I'm hoping to build later this year.

This time the prince pre-paid me....
Jamaica recycler just prepaid as well, and the MoU with the local assembly form isn't done yet. I guess that means there is serious demand given 0 advertising other than a little tech blog.

Duty cycle is variable to throttle the overall current delivery to match battery size to pulse strength.

Thank you for the answer, makes sense I wasn't thinking of the battery size just time for the caps to charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back