Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing my first basic circuit - But have a few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

justj0n

Ok… So I am new to all of this type of stuff. So I may be asking very simple and/or stupid questions but I figured I would ask and get feedback from people who know what they are talking about.

So I have been trying to design a simple(ish) circuit to run two 12V DC motors. BUT I want to run them from a Battery and make it useable via the mains while the battery charges. In addition to this I wanted to add a Battery Indicator (to see the battery charge), a Switch (turn on/off) and a Speed Controller (to adjust the speed on the motors). So I have had a go at drawing it out and wanted to get some feedback on it to see if it would even work…

So the main questions I have are:

- Would this circuit even work?

- Do I need to put in Resistors or something to reduce the Amp’s from the Charger going into the battery’s? Or will the Battery be ok taking 10Amp from the battery?

- Placements of the parts in the circuit? Will the battery indicator just show me the charge of the battery or will it show its fully charged when plugged in?

- Would I be able to do this only using a Positive and Negative wire or do I need an earthing wire?

- Is there anything I am missing/overlooked?

I think that’s everything…

Attachments

• Circuit 2.jpg
    Circuit 2.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 145
Where you have placed the resitors would reduce the voltage to the motors as well as limiting the charging current. You would only need one resistor between the charger and battery. You would be better off using a charger designed to charge the battery that you are using. 10 amps is too much current for charging a 9 AH battery. (I am assuming that you are using a lead acid battery.)

Les.

Yeah I had a feeling that the resistors might do that. I assume that by using a charger with a lower amp it would prevent me being able to run the motors while it is charging?

Hi JJ,

The circuit is fine; the resistors are not required.

The battery indicator that you show is a voltmeter and, if the battery is a 12V lead/acid type, will indicate about 14.5 volts on charge and 12.25 volts when not on charge.

You can add two other indicators:

(1) Ammeter in series with the positive battery charger lead to indicate battery charging current.

(2) Ammeter in series with the positive output from the speed controller to indicate motor current.

spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back