Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing and Building a High Amp Switch Mode Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

twenglish1

So after building a homemade welder by rewinding microwave transformers, i decided i wanted to build a plasma cutter, and instead of rewinding more microwave transformers, i decided that i want to design and build my own switch mode power supply to power the plasma cutter.

I have done lots of internet searching and posted in a couple other forums and i cannot seem to get an answer or any help on this project

This power supply will be required to output at least 240v DC (open circuit voltage) and a short circuit current of at least 40 amps for a start, although i would like to implement variable current later on, and even higher current

My main questions are: how do i design and create the high frequency transformer? and how do i achieve the outputs required? what determines the output voltage and the output current? i understand that switch mode power supplies are PWM controlled, so does the transformer determine the output voltage and the PWM determine the output current?

Hopefully someone here will be able to help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back