Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a vacuum cleaner based on IoT with burglar alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdullah8391

Hi everyone, for FYP I have proposed to make a vacuum cleaner based on IoT with burglar alarm.

Vacuum.png

I have decided to use vacuum cleaner in above link (Since our instructor said that we don't need it for heavy cleaning, rather we need it for demonstration).
Now my idea is that we design a movable chassis and a camera (night vision) on its top. The chassis motion will be controlled using Arduino. We will connect Arduino with internet (on internet with specific domain or server) using WiFi shield. On the other end we will design an android app on which we will receive video from chassis. This android app will also provide control for chassis (i.e I will control chassis movement through app). Apart from that I want the camera to detect any activity in room when set on burglar alarm mode and let the user know on app. Third thing I want is to also make the robot obstacle detecting (to stop when an obstacle appears) so that it might not hit other things by mistake. So what I need to know is:
1. Is it practically possible to control Arduino using android app as mentioned above?(I personally beleive it is, but want to know any problems that I might face)
2. Which camera should I use?
3. Which Arduino should I use so it can perform all these works?

How long you got? thats 6 months work. oh and small correction.... its not IoT its a thing on the net.... the same way a radio controlled drone by phone is not IoT even if you use wifi...

EDIT

Actually i dont know that model of vac cleaner, but if you got clever with the chassis and brought some the major bits in then its a fairly quick project (6 weeks ish), use a R PI and the R PI camera ;) that saves you a ton of work, use the PI2B you dont need a pi 3 for this so it should be cheap on ebay. You can also connect arduino to it and use movement detection via the camera, i say this because most the libs are all out there already.

Last edited:
If a burglar wants to break in and vacuum, I say let him!
Isnt it more likely to be a female? Theft is the least of the guys problems if he want to vac up

A little stereotypical don't ya think? ;) Speaking of stereotypes, when I hear the word burglar, I think male, even though I know that's not always the case.

Which is why my quote was exactly:

I recognized and admitted my sterotypical outlook.

Which is why I found it really funny that you even bothered to write a post to tell some else the were stereotyping.

Yes a stereotype, guilty as charged. But vacuum cleaners are known to emit a frequency that is bad for male ears. I cant find a reference for this but, turn on a vac in a room full of people and i bet 90% of the males run! :D So i deduce they emit a frequency males dont like.

Actually worse than that is when something jams up on the roller and you get that grinding noise followed by the rattle!! I hate it with a vengeance like chalk on a board. The real stereotype is most vacs are designed with ratios that fit women better than men!! Look in ergonomic references, vacs mostly come with handle lengths etc designed around the average height of a women and the buttons and handle thickness are based on a womens hand size.

But i am non pc, i was brought up by a dad who thought putting women on the front line to face bullets, was absolutely evil. The same guy who would have knocked me into next week for not opening a door for a women, or offering a lady my seat if she was standing on a train. He always said, women are very special, they are better at shaping generations and nurturing so they should be treated as special and not treated like men or used as cannon fodder.

Very non pc, but my dad always saw women as superior to men, honestly a true gent and i guess would be seen as a dinosaur now, but dosnt make him wrong. Oddly however, his views on same sex relationships etc was much more modern, he was alot like me, a simple shrug of the shoulders and couldnt see why people held strong views one way or other on it. As he once said, i like apples you like oranges, as long as the fruit is ripe to pick then dosnt matter what tree you get your fruit from.

I was around 10 or 11 when he said that, i hate to admit it took a couple of years to work out WTF he was on about:oops:, at the time i couldnt work out what fruit had to do with relationships lol.

Boats was the other big non pc thing i got from him, he would never give a boat a male name. He was really superstitious on boats. my mum once waved to him when we went fishing, he turned it around and wouldnt take the boat back out again that day.

Yes a stereotype, guilty as charged. But vacuum cleaners are known to emit a frequency that is bad for male ears. I cant find a reference for this but, turn on a vac in a room full of people and i bet 90% of the males run! :D So i deduce they emit a frequency males dont like.

Interesting theory on the frequency. Another good thing to study would be to why 90% of men pretend to ignore a grinding noise of a jammed laser printer while the other 10% run to it and fight to be the first to clear the jam (and silently hope they can diagnose a bigger issue).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back