Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing a small scoreboard need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

czwalga

Alright... first off i'm a junior in electrical engineering and this is my first post.

Anyways, i'm trying to build a small scoreboard with 7 segment display logic. This has to be powered on batteries which i'm still figuring out if its feasible depending on how many LED's i use.

The problem i'm encountering is... I have something similar to this.
**broken link removed**

However in place of each LED segment I would like to replace it with maybe 12 or so LED's. In theory, if just put them all in series they would light up, but the voltages would be very low. I'm not positive with the question i'm trying to ask, but is there anyway I could run the logic through, so say segment A turns on. AND the A signal along with something that will bump up the voltage to power more LED's?

Sorry for the poor wording and thanks for the help.

There are several ways you could do this... Maybe a demultiplexer chip like the 74ls154? Maybe just a transistor driver? What exactly are you trying to do?

I'm trying to make a scoreboard... to count from 0-9. I would like it to beable to run off of battery power with a decent amount of life to it. I would like the 7 segment display to be around 10x6 inches. Therefore I would just use a good amount of LED's for each segment of the display.

czwalga said:
I'm trying to make a scoreboard... to count from 0-9. I would like it to beable to run off of battery power with a decent amount of life to it. I would like the 7 segment display to be around 10x6 inches. Therefore I would just use a good amount of LED's for each segment of the display.

How large a battery are you wanting to use?.

Attachments

• led_7_segment.jpg
    led_7_segment.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 425
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back