Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

design for an electric fence energizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony Paul

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
My wife loves our garden but it is being devastated bt rabbits.
I would like to install an electric fence and would, therfore like to nuild an energiser (Have access to 240v ac) can any one assist please?:eek:

It doesn't need to be electric, the most common rabbit fence is to nail "chicken wire" to stakes at least 3' tall with 6" buried in the ground, so they wont burrow under it. Give this a shot first, come back if it doesn't work and then we'll help you energize the chicken wire although not many people have needed to do this.

On a more serious note, fence energizers here are around UKP40 and work for 2 weeks on a 5AH lead acid battery. Have you checked a rural suppliers to see how much they are to purchase.

Mike.

rjvh said:
just a thougth can't you use a flyback transformer from a TV to make something like that

Yes you can... you could also use an ignition coil.

The circuit using the ignition coil uses a timer IC and a power MosFet to control the primary side of the ignition coil. Keeping the pulses at intervals of approximately 1.5sec and using an ignition coil made for transistor type ignition devices the HV-pulse will reach 25KV, but only little current flow, hence the device may be battery powered with a pulse length of not more than 30ms.

So it won't kill the rabbits, but scare them away.

(I'd use a trap anyway. Rabbits are delicious. :) )

If you are interested in the circuit please drop a PM. My PC is is unservicable right now (may be because of heavy overclocking despite liquid cooling :confused: ) The circuit is designed using Eagle. Schematic and a single layer layout are done.

My PC will hopefully be OK again tomorrow.

Regards

Hans

Despite my earlier flippant comments, do you realise it is actually an offense to not shoot (or otherwise kill) rabbits on your land. And, yes, I'm talking about the UK.

Mike.

Use poisoned baits or traps, an electric fence won't work as they'll just dig under it.

Hero999 said:
Use poisoned baits or traps, an electric fence won't work as they'll just dig under it.

When I was a kid we had a huge garden up north. It was in the forest, so we ran page wire five feet high and buried two feet down all around it, with posts every ten-fifteen feet (IIRC).

The rabbits didn't burrow under. For the most part the deer didn't bother to jump in.

The neighbour's cows walked right through it.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back