Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decoding IT TV Remote Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmymna

I want to build a project which will include a remote of some description controlling many devices including devices that may or may not already have some sort of IR. In this I wanted to include the ability to use this remote to control an old sanyo tv with basic functions like on/off volume up/down chan up/down and also an old aiwa stereo. What I want to know is how can I find out what signal is sent for what button, are there datasheets with this information or would I have to build a IR decoder?
Any ideas or thoughts welcome :D

Timmymna said:
I want to build a project which will include a remote of some description controlling many devices including devices that may or may not already have some sort of IR. In this I wanted to include the ability to use this remote to control an old sanyo tv with basic functions like on/off volume up/down chan up/down and also an old aiwa stereo. What I want to know is how can I find out what signal is sent for what button, are there datasheets with this information or would I have to build a IR decoder?
Any ideas or thoughts welcome :D

You need to find out the specific coding for each device, there are a bewildering variety of different coding methods used, the most common of which is the Philips RC5 system.

One of my PIC tutorials deals with Sony SIRC IR codes, which is a nice simple system to decode or generate.

What you really need is a storage scope so you can compare the various keys used - along with a simple IR receiver IC, this strips off the 38KHz modulation, and leaves the original coding as a logic signal.

I don't have access to a storage scope, but in the past I've captured remote control signals using the parallel port, using a simple program written in DOS. If you search the net there are a number of projects about for doing similar things, including ones which use the sound card as the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back