Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

decipherment of a convolution lecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG1995

Hi

Could you please help me with **broken link removed**? It would be really kind of you. This PDF from page #7 onward is quite relevant to the discussion. might I thought I should mention that I need to understand it quickly. Thank you.

Regards
PG

Last edited:
This is very hard to follow. Notes without words requires that we make assumptions, which could be wrong assumptions.

For section 3 Q3, I think I see what is happening. The method looks correct and the final answer looks correct, but there is a mistake for the 0*δ[n]*h[n] part. This should give a zero function in return.

The method appears to be to write the impulse response as a sum of shifted and scaled delta functions. Then the final answer is written as a sum of convolutions of the x[n] function with each of the scaled and shifted impulse functions.

It's kind of ironic that you will be learning 3 or more methods to do convolution by hand, but you will never actually use any of these techniques. For real world problems you will let Matlab or a computer do the calculations for you. No real problem gives such simple functions. However, it's good to understand the math behind these methods. But, you might be better off finding a reference that explains this better than these notes.

Thanks a lot.

When you are free then please try to give it another look. Perhaps, then you can make some more sense out of it. Just ignore the Section 2 because as I see it whatever is being done there is quite similar to the stuff in the Section 3. This leaves us with only Section 1.

The method appears to be to write the impulse response as a sum of shifted and
scaled delta functions. Then the final answer is written as a sum of convolutions of
the x[n] function with each of the scaled and shifted impulse functions

I don't know if you are saying the same thing. But to me it looks like x[n], an input/excitation function, is made up of different simple delta functions, and then using the principle of superposition each of these delta functions is convolved with the impulse response separately to get the output response and the end overall output response y[n] is combination of all these individual output responses. Please let me know if I have it totally wrong. Thanks.

Do you think the end result for the Section 4 is also correct?

Thank you for the help.

Regards
PG

Last edited:
You are correct. I said it backwards.

As far as Section 4, the answer looks correct.

Once again, thanks a lot.

But the Section 4 does use the array method shown at the bottom? Kindly let me know.

The stuff in the Section 1 is supposed to be the method #1. Can you make any meaning out of it? And ignore the Section 2 because as I see it whatever is being done there is similar to the stuff in the Section 3.

Best wishes
PG

Hi Steve

I'm waiting for your reply to the previous post. Kindly give it a look when you have some time.

And perhaps for the quoted part below you would be thinking that I should do the problem myself to see if it really uses the array method. Actually where it could take me more than an hour, it would take you only a couple of minutes to know what's really happening. I'm really pressed for times these days! :(

But the Section 4 does use the array method shown at the bottom?

Regards
PG

Honestly, I haven't been able to make much sense of of those notes. The notes themselves are not of much value, but I expect you are trying to figure out which methods you teacher will expect you to know. Is there any way you can just ask him directly, the names of the methods he expects you to know?

Thanks.

Is there any way you can just ask him directly, the names of the methods he expects you to know?

Unfortunately, there is no way. In the first place, he has honestly no knowledge of the subject. He just chooses random topics, and then he does his best to hide his references. For example, he would convert some PDF file into a presentation and then put his own name at the start. But mostly in the past I was able to track those sources using the google. Actually that day when I started this thread I spent almost more than two hours trying to find the presentation he had used. Mostly he uses these notes to create his presentations

Now I'm particularly focused on the Section 4. I don't know why but I think it uses the array method and as you said the solution looks correct to you. If it still doesn't make any sense then I don't think we can do much about it. Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

I don't think we can do much about it.

What you can do is understand the theory of convolution and the various ways to actually perform the calculation in simple cases. Hopefully, you can then answer any test question put before you. More importantly, this will be enough to allow you to use the concepts in the real world, if your field of work requires it. In the real world we use Matlab to do the laborious calculations for us. So, learning these various methods is purely for the purpose of developing an intuitive understanding of the theory so that you can think conceptually and creatively when solving real problems.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, there is no way. In the first place, he has honestly no knowledge of the subject. He just chooses random topics, and then he does his best to hide his references. For example, he would convert some PDF file into a presentation and then put his own name at the start. But mostly in the past I was able to track those sources using the google. Actually that day when I started this thread I spent almost more than two hours trying to find the presentation he had used. Mostly he uses these notes to create his presentations

Now I'm particularly focused on the Section 4. I don't know why but I think it uses the array method and as you said the solution looks correct to you. If it still doesn't make any sense then I don't think we can do much about it. Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

If you dont know what methods the teacher will be asking on the tests and asking him doesnt help then there is nothing you can do but go over every method you can find just in case he asks for that method. That's what i am thinking about, that he might ask for a particular method and to show the work. But it could be that he just wants you to know how to do it period, and will just ask for the result rather than the work itself. But if he wont tell you then go over his head and find someone that will force him to tell you what's what, or else study every possible way of performing the calculations. I've seen it dont various ways on the web. I myself use a program that i wrote a while back because that's the way anyone sane would do it these days :)

discrete time function, time compression, time expansion, decimation

Hi

Could you please help me with **broken link removed** query? Thanks a lot.

Regards
PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back