Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Decade counter w/ hex inverter - inverted output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R2-D2

Decade counter w/ hex inverter - inverted LED output?

I want six LEDs sequentially counting from the 4017 decade counter and invert their states. For example, during the decade count, instead of the output LEDs being: off-off-on-off-off-off, I want the option to invert their states to be: on-on-off-on-on-on.

:mad::mad::):mad::mad::mad:
:):):mad::):):)

It looks like I need to use a 4049 hex inverter to the output of the decade counter to do this. I guess I connect each LED to its six outputs to invert their states. Seems it would work. Do I just connect a momentary switch to its supply voltage (pin 1) to invert the LEDs on its output? I'm going to experiment with this...

4000 series CMOS Logic ICs

Last edited:
Why can't you just connect the LEDs reverse of normal to invert the output? Connect the 7th output to the reset pin to get six steps.

I'll try that option. I also want the ability to invert the LEDs output with a switch. I don't think I can do that alone with the 4049 hex inverter.

Last edited:
I'll try that option. I also want the ability to invert the LEDs output with a switch.

you can use XOR gates to provide this option. Connect the 4017 outputs to 1 input of 6 XOR gates, and the value from the switch to the remaining inputs (tied together). When the switch connection gives a high value, the XOR gates will invert; otherwise they won't invert.

XOR gates to invert LED lights...

Dougy83, interesting idea. That should definitely work. Thanks!
I'll also try with the 4049 inverter, but not sure with using a switch on that one.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back