Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dead reckoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy_T

If your taking the time to read this, let me start by thanking you.

It should also be noted that the chances of me helping anyone with any math problem is very remote, not for lack of want, but skills (one semester tech math).

If this topic has been beat to death already, please let me know.

First question:
With two feedback devices, ones measures distance and the other measures the Yaw axis is it possible work out it's X,Y location?

Tommy

Attachments

• george13.jpg
    george13.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 259
The quick answer to your question is YES.
Have a look here:

Polar and Cartesian Coordinates

You seem to have some application in mind, whether this will work for what you are trying to do, I am not sure.

JimB

Hi there,

This is possible yes but there are some accuracy issues to be aware of.
Note that when the angle is close to 90 degrees for one small change in angle A we get a sweeping distance (along the x axis) of some length xL1 but a much smaller distance along the y axis yL1, and when the angle is close to 0 degrees for that same small change in angle A we get a sweeping distance along the x axis of some small distance xL2 but a much larger distance along the y axis yL2. When the angle is close to 45 degrees on the other hand we get nearly the same distances in the direction of x and y for that same small change in angle. These differences mean that the accuracy in different areas for pointing out a given point (x,y) in the working field is going to vary sometimes quite a bit over the whole range of the device, and this accuracy has to be checked to make sure it works well enough with the application as needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back